dear Nikhil,

it seems that the policeman is interested in harassing or blackmailing you
and not in filing a legal case against you. even if he does decide to file a
case against you there are certain mistakes he has already made - for
instance, the time-gap between the event and his filing of a case is
something that a criminal court will consider a serious lapse in the
investigation. also, there is no medical evidence, something that is
important in cases of sexual offences. the legal case seems to be a threat
that he will try to use to get as much money out of you a possible. i think
abhimanyu is right that confidence is most important in any dealings with
this policeman. if possible, get a lawyer to go with you. (are there any
lawyers on this list who might go with him?) i hope you and your boyfriend
get out of this unscathed.

Aditya, should we not also draw a line between statutory rape and sexual
abuse? let me be clear that i am not justifying sexual abuse in any
conditions, but is the desire and consent of a 16 year old not relevant in
the question of whether something amounts to abuse? you refer to 'statutory
rape', but what statute are you referring to where oral sex by a 16 year old
male amounts an offence (other than section 377, which doesn't discriminate
on the basis of age, or on the basis of consent)? just curious.

akshay