The Juvenile Courts only try juvenile offenders. If an adult commits any
crime on a child, it is tried in a regular court of law.

In India, the rape laws are inadequate to cover male rape or rape of a male
child. The position of the Juvenile Justice Act is also ambiguous and
inadequate. Therefore if there is penetration, most of the male CSA cases
gets tried under the anti-sodomy section 377 of IPC. If there is no
penetration, then other provisions of the IPC,lke those pertaining to hurt,
grevious hurt etc are invoked. But as I mentioned earlier, these are
inadequate.

What is ffrustrating for a lot of child rights activists is the fact that in
spite of having made a commitment to enact adequate laws against CSA under
the Convention for the Rights of the Child (CRC), the government has
consistently refused to act on it and has shown what can only be described
as an allaling insensitivity.

While the Section 377 was challenged in the Delhi High Court, one of the
reasons for not asking a repeal of the law, but merely a reading down so
that it does not cover private adult consensual sex, is expressly this. If
377 goes lock stock and barrrel, there would be very little left to
prosecute male CSA or male rape with.

The one thing that is clear in India law is the age of consent. It is the
age at which a person legally becomes eligible to give consent to have sex.
And that age is 18, and it comes from our contracts laws.

Best,
Aditya B

--
Do not print this mail unless really necessary.
Save paper, save trees..!!

If you loose your way while SCUBA diving, the safest direction to head for
is UP..!!!