<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/>
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo.cms?photoid=1799437

 <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-4646961,prtpage-1.cms>
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo.cms?msid=3360035

'Married' girls ready to die but not part

12 Jun 2009, 0408 hrs IST, Soumittra S Bose, TNN

SILLEWARA: 'Shayad, aasman bhi ro pada apne haal dekh ke!' (Maybe, the sky
too has started weeping on seeing our condition) said cupid-struck Rupali
(name changed) seated beside her beloved 'gharwala' Rupa (name changed) at a
non-descript eatery at Khaparkheda on Thursday evening.

These girls from Sillewara, a coal-mining village about 25 kms from Nagpur,
had just 'married' each other. Their act turned life in the village upside
down. In a society that still frowns at marriage outside of caste, a same
sex marriage was unthinkable. Rupali and Rupa are also from different
castes.

The sweltering noon, like the tumultuous society and family opposition the
lovebirds are facing, is threatening to blow an ominous storm with dark
clouds and thunder. The girls, both of whose families have threatened to
abandon them, shared quick evening snacks with no certainty of a dinner or
roof at night. They are, however, ready to face everything including death.
Despite threats looming large, they walked hand-in-hand in the narrow lanes
of their village.

Just out of their teens, both have each other's name tattooed on their hand.
Their hands also carry marks of injuries they inflicted on themselves when
they were forced to stay away. Two have vowed to stay together forever. They
also plan to adopt an orphan girl to raise as their child.

Rupa and Rupali's friendship bloomed over the last five years. "We started
growing close. We could not realise when the friendship turned to love. Now,
we cannot live without each other. If we are forced to part ways, we will
end our lives," said Rupali. She claimed that Rupa was possessive and more
dominant of the two.

"There is no hard and fast rule that only opposite sex could fall in love.
We feel content in each other's company," said Rupali, clearly the more
talkative one.

kt

 <http://www.ketan.net/> Email

ke...@ketan.net