'It's a better way to attack a sexual predator'

DNA

Thursday, June 11, 2009 23:59 IST

 <javascript:emailArticle(1264022,7);> EmailEmail

 <http://www.dnaindia.com/dnaprint.asp?newsid=1264022> PrintPrint

 <javascript:change_text_size1()> Text sizeText

<http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_it-s-a-better-way-to-attack-a-
sexual-predator_1264022#share> ShareShare

Mumbai: Harish Iyyer, barely in his early twenties, knew very well that this
was not going to be an easy job. After all, the serial rape that was
inflicted upon him through his teens would now be depicted on the screen.
According to Harish, this was the only way people would understand the
trauma that one goes through.

http://www.dnaindia.com/imageshow.asp?objid=1264023

Tanveer Khan / DNA

Harish Iyyer

"I was raped by my own maternal uncle and Onir wanted to make a film on the
horrible experience that made me attempt suicide. At first I was dumbstruck,
but a few of my friends told me that allowing my trauma to be filmed would
mean that a hundred other people would be saved from it because of the
awareness it will generate," says Harish who is in his late twenties.

For Onir, all it took was a plea from his Facebook account and his blog
seeking donations to make a film that nobody has attempted before. Today the
director is ready to hit the floors armed with a collection of Rs10 lakh
from his online friends about the real-life story of Harish.

"My friend Payal Shah also wanted to write a book on my experience. I agreed
because I feel that this is a better way of attacking a sexual predator
rather than hiding your face behind the curtains," says Harish who works for
numerous NGOs to stop sexual abuse of children.

The trauma that he went through perhaps took a toll on his sexuality. Today
Harish doesn't mind saying that he is gay, but insists that this should not
mean that anybody can take advantage of him. This will be the first
real-life film of gay rape which involves the concerned victim.

"Abhimanyu (based on the life of Harish) is part of a five series
short-film. Sanjay Suri and I had floated a plea on our Facebook accounts
and blogs for people to contribute for the film. Sanjay and I are
contributing Rs75 lakh for the film and rest of the money is being collected
from online donations and friends," confirms Onir.

Email:  <mailto:modera...@gaybombay.in> modera...@gaybombay.in

Web Sites:

 <http://www.gaybombay.in/> www.gaybombay.in

 <http://www.gaybombay.info/> www.gaybombay.info