The reaction of religious leaders has focussed attention on religions and
homosexuality. This is going to be an important, bitter debate and we really
need queer people of faith to come up and start discussing how they manage to
balance both being religious and queer.

There have also been some good articles written on this. Here they are:

Devdutt Pattanaik bringing to bear his considerable knowledge of mythology:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/When-gayness-was-out-in-open-not-a-matter-of-guilt/articleshow/4731112.cms

Renuka Narayan looks at it and finds tolerance if not approval, which sounds
realistic:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=RSSFeed-Views&id=71e162fa-3015-4c27-9c11-0b367b3689fd&Headline=Hinduism+and+gays%3A+Acceptance%2C+yes.+Approval%2C+no

And last, another variation on that theme, this time involving Muslim voices:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4736152.cms?frm=mailtofriend

Homosexuality immoral, but not criminal: Religious leaders
4 Jul 2009, 0216 hrs IST, TNN

 Print
 Email
 Discuss
 Share
 Save
 Comment
Text:

DELHI/MUMBAI: In the first flurry of reactions, religious leaders appeared to
be slamming the de-criminalization of gay sex. But while most

 conservative scholars and clerics remain opposed to homosexuality as an
article of faith, many say that they aren’t advocating making it a criminal act
as Section 377 of IPC did.

Writer and philosopher Deepak Chopra told TOI from his home in New York, ‘‘A
new morality must evolve that is based on a true understanding of human nature,
that is also consistent with its biology. Homosexuality has been part of the
human condition for as long as human beings have existed. The Delhi High Court
should be congratulated for making a decision that finally catches up with our
times.’’

Then, while Delhi Catholic Archdiocese has described homosexuality as
‘‘unnatural’’, it says it has nothing against its de-criminalization.
Spokesperson of Delhi Catholic Archdiocese, Father Dominic Emmanuel, told
TOI,‘‘Homosexuality is a sin — as opposed to a crime. But we believe that those
who indulge in it should be treated with respect and compassion.’’

In a newspaper article, Father Dominic was even more forthright. ‘‘It needs to
be made clear that the Christian community does not (repeat it does not) treat
people with homosexual tendencies as criminals. Nor does it believe that they
can be regarded on par with criminals. Therefore, the church has no serious
objection to the repealing of Section 377.

‘‘The Vatican’s stand on this is quite clear: Every sign of unjust
discrimination in their regard should be avoided’,’’ wrote Father Dominic.

Similarly, some Muslim clerics and scholars, too, favour de-criminalization of
homosexuality, saying that while Islam does not permit homosexuality, this
doesn’t mean it should be equated with criminality.

‘‘The Quran condemns homosexuality, but doesn’t prescribe any punishment for
it. It’s a sin, not a crime. Sin is between Allah and the sinner, but crime
concerns the entire society. So, sexual minorities should be left to their
conscience. They are answerable to Allah for their act and should not be
treated as criminals,’’ said Islamic scholar Asghar Ali Engineer.

Maulana Abu Zafar Hassan Nadvi, a cleric, too accepts that since the Quran is
silent on the punishment for homosexuality, it should be treated as an
irreligious, immoral act. ‘‘Every non-religious act is not liable to be
punished. Just as we don’t pronounce death for atheists, homosexuals should be
left alone until they get reformed,” said Maulana Nadvi.

Some clerics maintain that since Indian state is secular, it should not press
for laws guided by religions. ‘‘Why should we expect that what applies in Saudi
Arabia or Iran must also apply in India in regard to punishment for
homosexuality? As a religious person, I condemn homosexuality. But I don’t have
the right to declare homosexuals criminals,’’ said Maulana Zaheer Abbas Rizvi,
a Shia scholar and member of the All India Ulema Council.

Said Deepak Chopra, ‘‘What is religion? And what is morality? Religion is
nothing more than cultural mythology...A religion that gets frozen and is not
consistent with our current understanding of evolution, biology or cosmogenesis
ceases to serve people and becomes a self-righteous, immoral force in society.
Hence all religions have become quarrelsome, divisive and idiotic.’’