Seems times have not changed since the following discussion happened
in the mailing list.... Pasting it to refresh the minds...

Preyas..
Dear Sumit, Billy, Aryan and others

I had a similar experience in being disallowed from donating blood at
a blood donation camp a few months back held at my institute. I am
openly gay and a PhD student in evolutionary biology at the National
Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore. I had to, before donating
blood, sign a consent form that also doubles as a screening form of
sorts (the "filter"). The form required people engaged in "homosexual
sex" over the past six months to refrain from donating blood, in
addition to people who had indulged in "unprotected casual sex". I
found this annoying and discriminatory. I approached the doctor in
charge of the camp, told her that I was gay and queried her the
reasons for preventing homosexual men from donating blood. She could
not handle the fact that she was speaking to an openly gay person and
asked a nurse to talk to me. As I waited for the nurse to finish her
work on another donor, I tried to talk to the doctor but she refused
to even acknowledge my presence! I was absolutely outraged but managed
to stay calm. The nurse also had a tough time in talking to me. She
asked me if I had "done all these things", "homosex" for the past six
months and tried to explain high-risk categories, donor deferral, the
window period and so on. She even thanked me for being frank about it
and that it had saved them (the blood bank) some trouble!! I was
exasperated at the lack of sensitivity, awareness and training on part
of both the doctor and the nurse in as much as they could not handle
the situation at all. The discrimination in the consent form was part
of the issue of not being allowed to donate blood. I had no intention
to disturb the camp's activities and so complained to the managing
trustee and director of the blood bank, also a doctor, through a
mutual acquaintance. I have been out to everyone at work (and
elsewhere), and many people who heard of the incident later spoke to
me in support and expressed their outrage, or sober disagreement with
the discriminatory act.

The doctor-trustee e-mailed me apologizing for the incident and we
arranged to meet and discuss the incident, reasons for donor deferral
and possibilities, if any, in terms of remedial measures. She was very
understanding and agreed that the wording in the consent form was
discriminatory. She expressed her surprise that it had escaped their
attention that the staff were not trained to handle queers and  other
sexual minorities. This was because, she claimed, they had never faced
a situation where someone who identified him/herself as queer had
approached them questioning their actions. The lack of policy and
training was in some ways, she accepted, was a lack of anticipation or
belief of such incidents having to occur despite being aware and
concerned of gay rights. We discussed the incident in detail and she
informed me that the doctor in question was a new recruit who had
previously been in government blood banks where these issues are
mostly given an eyewash. She informed me that the doctor was
reprimanded and instructed on handling gay donors in order she may
face similar situations in future with understanding, concern and with
respect to the dignity of the donor (if it were possible!).

On donor deferral, she informed me that although they test every
donated sample, the sensitivity of the available tests during the
window period (for HIV) prevented them from using samples from groups
identified as "high risk", including homosexuals. She drew attention
to statistics available for America and Europe (not India) that point
to a drastic cut, over a decade, in the number of contaminated samples
after consent forms were modified to identify high risk persons. I can
appreciate their point on the sensitivity of the tests, which is
scientific, but is it safe to assume that the number of contaminated
samples dropped after modified consent forms were introduced? I do not
have access to these studies, but couldn't help wonder if other
reasons such as increased condom usage etc and increased awareness
among the "high-risk" communities be a reason for the drop? I am not
sure if comparable numbers of donors from the "high-risk" communities
existed over the decade to give credence to the dropping graph. With
these reasonable arguments in mind, I wondered if we could do
something practical to change things at the blood bank. The blood bank
in question is one of the largest in Bangalore and as the doctor
informed me, with the responsibility to advise the Karnataka
government in drafting guidelines on blood donation and blood bank
policy. She outlined the steps that she would undertake as the
managing trustee of the blood bank to change things.

1. All discriminatory wording in the consent form would be dropped and
the form would be suitably modified to sound "neutral". Instead of
"homosexual sex", and "unprotected causal sex" would be "unprotected
vaginal, oral, anal sex" that would encompass everything. I am not
sure when the next set of consent forms would be printed, but the
doctor assured me then that it would be done at the earliest. She
promised to recommend in her next report to the government to make
this mandatory for all blood banks in Karnataka. That might take a
while, but I live in hope that it just might happen.

2. All the personnel in the blood bank, particularly those involved in
blood donation camps, would be provided training in attending with
greater sensitivity to donors who identify themselves as gay, lesbian,
or transsexual. This could also form a part of her recommendations,
although I do not recall her promise anything.

The doctor was sensitive and responsive to the rights of gay, lesbian
and transsexual people and I appreciate her attempts, or promises
thereof, to rectify matters. In the days after the incident, I have
been involved with academic activities and research at my institute
and have not been able to follow up on the blood bank and its promised
policy changes. I shall do that in a few days and let everyone know
the status of things. While I completely understand the outrage
experienced by Sumit and perhaps several others, this incident has
raised my hopes that practical good can be done in some cases, and
future course can potentially influenced to our benefit if emotive
issues of gay rights are molded suitably with practical concerns of
the doctors.

with warm wishes and regards

Thejaswi Shivanand