http://www.firozeshakir.com/?p=6129

 Friday, August 21, 2009 In Praise of Manvendra Singh
Gohil<http://www.firozeshakir.com/?p=6129>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/firozeshakir/3842227178/>

In Praise of Manvendra Singh
Gohil<http://www.flickr.com/photos/firozeshakir/3842227178/>,
originally uploaded by firoze shakir
photographerno1<http://www.flickr.com/people/firozeshakir/>
.

a prince
who loves to chill
dont make a
mountain
out of a molehill
article 377
a dangerous swine flu
making the gay
community ill
life is more much more
hate dont spill
live and let others live
its evil within you
you must learn to kill
waiting for hope and peace
freewill
good thoughts
within your soul instill
the prince of raj pipla
a dream of humanity
living together
wishes to fulfill
loved dearly by
the boys of brazil
an architect of love
no run of the mill
he is
manvendra singh gohil
on a mission of goodwill
boys wont always be boys
but girls in frill

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manvendra_Singh_Gohil

Manvendra Singh Raghubir Singh (known as ‘Manvendra Singh Gohil’,
‘Manvendrasingh Gohil’, or ‘Manvendra Gohil’) (* 23 September 1965 in Ajmer)
is the Maharajkumar or Crown Prince of Rajpipla belonging to the royal
family of the former princely state of Rajpipla in India.

He was disinherited after revealing his gay sexuality, and since then there
has been a question mark over his relations with the family. He is the only
known person of royal lineage in modern India to have publicly revealed he
is gay.[1]

In January 2008, while performing an annual ceremony in Rajpipla in honour
of his great-grandfather Maharaja Vijaysinhji, Manvendra Gohil announced
plans to adopt a child from within the Rajpipla family, saying: “I have
carried out all my responsibilities as the prince so far and will continue
as long as I can. I will also adopt a child soon so that all traditions
continue”[2]. If the adoption proceeds, it will be the first known case of a
single gay man adopting a child in India. In June, 2009, at São Paulo, he
told: “Adopting a child is easy in India, and there is no problem because of
being openly gay. I hope to be with my son soon after the return of
Brazil”.[3]

Manvendra was born at Ajmer, 23 September 1965, as the son of Maharana Shri
Raghubir Singhji Rajendrasinghji Sahib, who inherited the title of Maharana
of Rajpipla in 1963. The princes were derecognized by the Republic of India
in 1971. Manvendra had a traditional and conservative upbringing. He was
educated at Scottish High School and at Amrutben Jivanlal College of
Commerce and Economics, Vile Parle, Bombay.

In January 1991, he married Chandrika Kumari from Jhabua, Madhya Pradesh,
because, he claims, “I thought after marriage I will be alright because I
never knew and nobody told me that I was gay and [that] this is normal.
Homosexuality is not a disease. I tremendously regret for ruining her life.
I feel guilty”[4]. The marriage ended in divorce when Manvendra revealed his
homosexuality to his wife.

“It was a total disaster. A total failure. The marriage never got
consummated. I realized I had done something very wrong”[5].

Several years after his divorce in 1992, he became involved in a social
network to help gays in Gujarat.
“ It was difficult to be gay in my family. The villagers worship us and we
are role models for them. My family didn’t allow us to mix with ordinary or
low-caste people. Our exposure to the liberal world was minimal. Only when I
was hospitalized after my nervous breakdown in 2002 did my doctor inform my
parents about my sexuality. All these years I was hiding my sexuality from
my parents, family and people. I never liked it and I wanted to face the
reality. When I came out in the open and gave an interview to a friendly
journalist, my life was transformed. Now, people accept me[6]. ”

[edit] Coming out

Manvendra’s homosexuality was revealed to his family by doctors in 2002
following his hospitalisation for a nervous breakdown. However, it was when
he talked publicly about his sexual orientation in 2006 that his family took
action and accused him of bringing dishonour to the clan. The disowning,
however, is likely to remain a symbolic act rather than legally enforceable
disinheritance, given India’s modern inheritance laws.[7] He has been
reunited with his father.[8]

On 14 March 2006, the story of Manvendra’s coming out made headlines in
India and around the world. His effigies were burnt in Rajpipla, where the
traditional society was shocked.

Manavendra appeared as a guest on the Oprah Winfrey Show on October 24,
2007. He was one of three persons featured in the show entitled ‘Gay Around
the World’. He expressed that he has no regrets about coming out, and that
he believes the people of his state respect him for his leadership in
preventing and educating on HIV/AIDS.

On his coming out, Manvendra has said:
“ I knew that they would never accept me for who I truly am, but I also knew
that I could no longer live a lie. I wanted to come out because I had gotten
involved with activism and I felt it was no longer right to live in the
closet. I came out as gay to a Gujarati daily because I wanted people to
openly discuss homosexuality since it’s a hidden affair with a lot of stigma
attached[9]. ”

Manvendra inaugurated the Euro Pride gay festival in Stockholm, Sweden on 25
July 2008.

Manvendra featured in a BBC Television series, Undercover Princes, screened
on BBC Three in the UK in January 2009 which documented his search for a
British boyfriend in Brighton.[10]

[edit] Charitable activities

In 2000, Manvendra started the Lakshya Trust, of which he is chairman, a
group dedicated to HIV/AIDS education and prevention. A registered public
charitable trust, Lakshya is a community-based organization working for
HIV/AIDS prevention among men who have sex with men (MSMs). It provides
counseling services, clinics for treatment of sexually transmitted
infections, libraries, and condom-use promotion. Lakshya won the Civil
Society Award 2006 for its contribution in preventing HIV/AIDS among
homosexual men [2].

The trust also creates employment opportunities for gay men and support for
other organisations for MSMs, and plans to open a hospice/old age home for
gay men.

Lakshya is a member of the India Network For Sexual Minorities (INFOSEM) and
a founding member of the Sexual Health Action Network (SHAN).

In 2007, Manvendra joined the Interim Governing Board of the Asia Pacific
Coalition on Male Sexual Health, known as APCOM, a regional coalition of MSM
and HIV community-based organisations, the government sector, donors,
technical experts and the UN system. He serves as India Community
Representative on behalf of INFOSEM, the India MSM and HIV network.
Manvendra said of this work, “APCOM is one of the best mediums to bring
together different nationalities and develop linkages with others working
for HIV and MSM/TG. In India, it will be an important tool to influence
authorities to change thinking and broaden outlooks for the betterment of
society. APCOM demonstrates the essence of unity and solidarity within
diversity.” [11]

In May 2009, it was announced that there are plans to turn Prince
Manvendra’s life story into a major motion picture. The script will be
written by another Royal, a member of the erstwhile Kapurthala Royal family,
Prince Amarjit Singh. [
posted by Firoze Shakir Pedestrian Poet of India at 2:18 am