http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/oct/211009-Ashok-Row-Kavi-gay-activist-homosexuality.htm

'Docs worst informed about homosexuality'
 *By: *Hemal Ashar
 *Date: *2009-10-21

*As Mumbai gears up for a mammoth conference on sexuality, gay activist
Ashok Row Kavi slams sexologists for their ignorance. Hemal Ashar referees a
face-off

   What do they know? Ashok Row Kavi. file pic
Ashok Row Kavi
Gay activist
*"Doctors are the worst informed about homosexuality. At one talk, stupid
questions like, 'Are there injections to turn homosexuals into
heterosexuals' were thrown at me by docs. I answered with sarcasm.
I told them I know of injections that turn heterosexuals into homosexuals.
They must understand human sexuality as a spectrum of different sexualities
without being judgmental."
"Sexologist Dr Rajan Bhonsle, for instance, is homophobic. He claims
homosexuality is a "choice" when it is a sexual orientation. Bhonsle wrongly
equates same sex with anal sex.
A large number of gay men I know do NOT have anal sex. Bhonsle induces many
homosexuals to go in for aversion therapy. His writings and lectures come in
the way of creating a more tolerant and healthy society."

*Dr Rajan Bhonsle
Head of the dept of sexual medicine at KEM Hospital
*

*WHO IS HE ACCUSING?
*Dr Rajan Bhonsle. file pic
"Kavi calls me homophobic, but has he read my writings or listened to my
lectures where I have said that every person of any sexual orientation has
equal rights? I have not stated that homosexuality is only a choice, only
said that there are certain unknown factors that might make a person veer
towards it. I have never stated that all gay men have anal sex and have also
said that heterosexuals too have anal sex.
"I do not believe in aversion therapy. Only if an individual, who approaches
me, has the right reasons, and a willingness to develop orientation towards
the opposite sex, do I help him. I have hundreds of patients who have
developed heterosexual orientation following therapy and are now happily
married."

*Sex mahamela*
The 25th National Conference of Sexology by the Council of Sex Education &
Parenthood International (CSEPI) in partnership with the Indian Andropause
Society (IAS) and Andrology India will be held from October 23 to 25 at the
Nehru Centre, Worli. About 200 doctors from across India are expected to
attend this event.

*Is homosexuality an orientation?*
Homosexuality is definitely an orientation. but homosexuals can change their
orientation; they can become bisexuals. Also, some medicines, along with
psychotherapy and cognitive behaviour therapy, may be used to change their
orientation. I would not term homosexuals as abnormal or mentally ill, but I
do think their orientation defeats the purpose of human evolution.
*- Dr Madhav Pakhare, psychiatrist and sexologist*

Homosexuality is an orientation, it is genetic. No medicine can change
orientation. Though we do not need to promote homosexuality by saying
homosexuals are more creative and all that nonsense, gays need to be
accepted and respected. All these medicines and tonics in the market
designed to change orientation just exploit the desperate.
*- Dr Prakash Kothari founder, professor, dept of sexual medicine, KEM
Hospital*