To: gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
From: modera...@gaybombay.in
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:58:00 +0530
Subject: g_b Coming out letter from a married man and a father

Courtesy movenpick elist

Pasting a coming out letter from another group. Hope it helps someone.

Regards

Moderator

Sharing my coming out letter to my parents
Posted by: "Geek, Only" geeko...@mac.com
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 am (PST)

Dear all.

Am sharing my coming out email to my parents. Not that i think it is good. Just
think it can always be useful to others. It went ok. The best part of the story
is that it's my daughters who came to the rescue and took the phone to counsel
my parents. :-)

-----------------

Dear Parents,

It is not easy to write this email and what I am going to say will probably
surprise you. So, maybe I will be brief and to the point. I am writing to share
a personal development that makes a difference in my life: Over time, I have
become gay.

Over the years I saw my sexual preference evolve. At the age of 20, I
identified as heterosexual. I married and had children happily. I regret
nothing and these were good times.

Gradually, however, I felt a change in me that took me towards bisexuality.
There have been relatively unimportant things, but I spoke about it to my wife
seven years back. Then there was a committed relationship with a man for over
three years, as a result of which my wife and I separated. Last year, this
relationship broke up, and I returned back to married life. However, I think
that today, I identify as gay. My wife, children and siblings are aware of this
situation. It was hard for my wife, but she now came to some acceptance. My
children are very accepting. Right now, we keep a co-parenting link with our
children under a same roof and we have good quality of life. However, my wife
and I are looking into options for the future. We are not worried because there
is much goodwill on both sides. We will find a solution that accommodates
everyone and that keep havens of time and space for quality co-parenting.

There would be many reasons why I could have avoided to talk to you (protect
yourself etc..). It would have been also easy to hide because I live far away
from you. But in fact, as a father, and despite all our past disagreements and
tensions, I think that if I were you, I'd rather know. That's the very reason
why I broke the silence.

There are some details that I wish to mention. First, there is no need to look
for reasons or responsibilities. Sexual preferences are identity issues. They
are fundamental. That is why those who live a different sexual identity have
the right to tolerance. They have not chosen it. It is like being born with a
specific skin color; although in my case, I think there was an evolution.
Second, there is no need for discussions or comments. We are all doing well.
Finally, there is nothing to hide. This is something intimate and personal, but
it can be shared and there are no secrets about it. Finally, there is no need
to ask too many questions. It's like that only.

I understand that you may accept this piece of news with difficulties. I can
say three things about it. First, nobody has had more difficulties handling
this than me. I suffered, but now I'm really comfortable with the situation. So
there are no reasons to be sad. Second, I am not asking for acceptance on your
part. If you have a problem with the whole thing, it’s OK. Finally, and this
may sound strange, but beyond our differences, misunderstandings or past
disagreements, it's somehow out of respect and affection for you that I
preferred to let you know.

Hugs,

Email: modera...@gaybombay.in
Web Sites:
www.gaybombay.in
www.gayindia.org
E Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay
http://groups.google.com/group/GayIndia
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/gaybombay
http://twitter.com/gayindia
Facebook:
facebook.com/gaybombay
facebook.com/gayindia
Blogs:
http://gaybombay.blogspot.com
http://gaybombay.wordpress.com
GB Internet Radio:
http://www.gaybombay.in/gbradio
Gaybombay breaking news and annoucements:
http://labs.google.co.in/smschannels/subscribe/Gaybombay
Emergency Helpline number: 9820565885
Orkut:
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=22091955

GB Radio
www.gaybombay.in/gbradio
Gaybombay breaking news and annoucements
http://labs.google.co.in/smschannels/subscribe/Gaybombay
Emergency Helpline number 9820565885
Orkut:
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=22091955