India's answer to Brokeback Mountain

TNN 7 January 2010, 12:00am IST

Text Size:

Come, new year and Bollywood is all set to make its first gay love story as
an answer to Hollywood's Brokeback Mountain that was released in 2006.

 <javascript:openslideshownew('/slideshow/5416596.cms?imw=460','541','526')>
Still from Dunno Y.. Na Jaane Kyun

 <javascript:openslideshownew('/slideshow/5416596.cms?imw=460','541','526')>
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/4764554.cms

Still from Dunno Y.. Na Jaane Kyun

Sunjay Sharma's Dunno Y.. Na Jaane Kyun deals with a serious relationship
between two men. Director Anil Sharma's brother Kapil Sharma is playing a
wannabe gay model in the film. Competition and survival compels him to
succumb to exploitation. "Most strugglers will connect to my role," says
Kapil. While most actors develop cold feet to play gay characters isn't
Kapil scared to get slotted at the beginning of his career? Kapil replies,
"I feel today's audience is mature enough, and they don't want to see
typical run-of-the-mill kind of films. Look, at Hollywood, Hasn't Tom Hanks
played a gay character? An actor should be open to playing any character
conventional or unconventional. The only thing I was particular about, was
that this character should not come across as a caricature or just as an
object of mockery. I am truly happy with what I have chosen."

Email:
ZuyqMJgNC-L4S3BWR464eSfMgGEAMLax1OSqSI6REqIgVM3LQEejINlemMrw>
modera...@gaybombay.in

E Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay

http://groups.google.com/group/GayIndia