Dear Shrikant,

There are two ways to look at marriage. A book written some years back by E
J Graff, my activist friend from  Brandeis Women's Studies Research Center,
USA, called "What Is Marriage For? The Strange Social History of our Most
Intimate Institution"* (Publisher*: Beacon Press; *ISBN*: 0807041157) may
give you a very good idea about what is being spoken of here. If you can lay
your hand on that book, I would suggest that you read it to really have a
clearer perspective on the issue. You can also read a review of the book at
http://atheism.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/WhatMarriageFor.htm

The first is marriage as a social institution that gives you social
recognition amongst your society and peers as a 'couple'. To undergo this
marriage you may perform a ceremony where you call your society and peers as
witness, and undertake such vows of commitment to each other as you deem
fit, before this witness crowd. Undertaking such a ceremony may also give
you the social endorsement, personal validation, and the support to fructify
such commitments. The nature of such a ceremony may be secular, namely where
you execute the vows without reference to any god or religious authority;
OR, it could be religious, where you invite a supportive religious priest or
interceeder who performs a ceremony that is witnessed by those gathered and
thereby makes you married.

The Second is marraige as a legal institution. This becomes possible only
when the law where the parties to the marriage reside or get married in
recognise the validity of such a marriage. Once the law recognises a
marriage, it also creates certain legally binding responsibilities between
the parties and creates certain rights that the parties have between each
other and jointly have against the world as a couple. Rights and
responsibilities between the parties may include things like inheriting the
propoerty of the married partner, getting insurance and spousal benefits
from the job of the partner, the right to divorce and seek maintanence, etc.
Rights of the married couple against the world may include things like
seeking joint tax benefits, not being compelled to testify against the
partner, protection of communication between the partners from use in
public, getting joint adoption and custody rights, etc.

I am presuming that you are male and when you say you wish to get married to
your partner, you mean your male partner and that you are both based in
India. What I say henceforth are based on that presumption.

If it is the first kind of marriage that you wish to have, there is nothing
that can and will stop you from doing it. Please go right ahead. Find a
priest or a secular notary who will preside over the ceremony. Invite
friends and peers, and have your commitment ceremonised before such
witnesses. But be clear that you will only be doing this for your own
satisfaction and that in the eye of the law, your marriage would have no
meaning. The law cannot stop you from going through such a ceremon and
getting married in such a manner. But the law will not grant you any
privileges or rights either. It would only have pure social significance
within your community and nothing else.

If it is the second type of marriage you want, then I am sorry to say that
it is not possible in India at the moment, and given the fact that most of
the energies of activists are focused on getting the 377 case through the
Supreme Court, focusing on marriage will not be on activists agenda for a
significant amount of time. Also many activists, myself included, are
convinced that we should not focus on marriage at all at this stage for that
would jeopardise our case before the SC and would give ammunition to those
ranged against us. We feel that we should deal with marriage at the
appropriate time after decriminalisation is confirmed by the SC and not
before that. There are some who disagree, and are welcome to take any action
they feel they need to take, but I feel that when I say that marriage should
not be the focus at the moment, I am speaking of the larger consensus
amongst the LGBT people and activists.

I, personally am not convinced that someone should get married just for the
show of it, unless it actually confers legal benefits and is recognised by
the law. I feel that such a marriage without legal validity is really a
waste of time, and everything that such a marriage signifies by way of
commitments, can easily be achieved without the public show, by mutual
understanding between the partners.

So I have laid out the options (or the lack of it) that you face. From here
on it is your choice to make. I wish you will have the wisdom to choose
correctly. I wish you all the best.

Aditya Bondyopadhyay

PS: I take it back, don't try Prashant, its likely to be disastrous....