*Kashish - Mumbai International Queer Film Festival had a star-studded
opening on Thursday with some of the cast of 'I Am' inaugurating the
four-day fest.
*
Director Onir led his cast
members, Manisha Koirala, Rahul Bose, Sanjay Suri and Purab Kohli in
lighting the traditional lamp at PVR Juhu to declare the film festival open.
This is the first queer film festival in India of international stature. It
is also probably the first in India to be held at a mainstream venue.

"I am really proud that Mumbai is hosting an international queer film
festival of this stature," said actor Manisha Koirala. Sanjay Suri, who is
also producing I Am, echoed this sentiment. "I wish this film festival had
happened five years ago so that we could have premiered 'My Brother Nikhil'
here," said Sanjay, who thanked the UNDP and Humsafar Trust for their
support for 'I Am'.

Onir said he was proud to be part of the opening of Kashish.
Actor Rahul Bose dwelled on the fact that everyone is a victim of
discrimination and stereotyping at some point of time. Onir’s latest film is
based on true incidents and is truly a community-owned film, with funds
raised through social networking sites and over 400 contributors worldwide
coming together in common cause. Four stories of marginalized individuals
who are forced to struggle against society, shot in four cities, dealing
with four issues never dealt with by so-called mainstream cinema: I AM AFIA,
I AM OMAR, I AM ABHIMANYU, I AM MEGHA.

Earlier during the opening ceremony, anchor Neha called upon festival
directors Sridhar Rangayan and Vivek Anand and Ashok Row Kavi, Technical
Officer Sexual Minorities Desk at UNAIDS India and the founder
of Humsafar Trust to take the stage and set things in motion.

"We always wanted to get a queer film festival of international standards
to Mumbai," said Sridhar. "This year the screenings are at Audi 5; I have a
dream that at next year's edition of Kashish all five screens at PVR would
screen the film festival," said Vivek. Ashok said that UNDP and UNAIDS would
continue their support of Kashish.

Sridhar introduced the jury members: theatreperson Dolly Thakore;
actor Suhasini Mulay; playwright Mahesh Dattani; actor Rajit Kapur; and film
critic Meenakshi Shedde. Dolly Thakore expressed her unflinching support for
the cause. Mahesh commended the Kashish team for
"visibilising the invisibles.' Suhasini Mulay and Rajit Kapur said they were
amazed at the talent reflected in the films, including the Indian entries,
many of which were first-time efforts.

The screenings began at 10 am simultaneously at PVR Juhu and
Alliance Francaise, Manine Lines, to packed audiences. The highlights of Day
1 were 'Flying Inside My Body' - a documentary on photographer Sunil Gupta;
two documentaries by Sophia College students `Engayging Lives'  and 'Speak
Up, It's Not your fault'; and a panel discussion on cinema and censorship
with panelists censor board member Nandini Sardesai, anti-censorship
activist Gargi Sen, filmmaker Vinta Nanda and Ashok Row Kavi, moderated
by Paromita Vohra.

Nandini and Gargi took diametrically opposite stands on the issue while
others questioned the need for censoring films in the age of
mobile MMS/online videos. Ashok Row Kavi held the audience enthralled with
his unique take on queer representation in cinema.

*Photos:*
To view pictures of the* opening ceremony*, please click on this link to get
into an online folder containing the images (no sign-in required):
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4aUlkRoQ5jgOWY2NGU2NmMtY2NkZi00M2QzLTllN2QtMDIwMWY4NzY1MDYy&hl=en_GB

To view pictures of the *opening gala* held at Vie Lounge Juhu on the eve of
the festival (ie 21 April), please click on this link that will take you to
the online folder (again, no sign-in required)
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4aUlkRoQ5jgNzE3NTczNDQtNTU3Ni00NTBiLThkMWEtZjI4ZGJlZGIxNDAx&hl=en_GB

-- By the Kashish 2010  News Desk