Whoever said gay films don’t have an audience… had to eat their words.
The Mumbai International Queer Film Festival stands testimony to the
fact that queer is just a word and it means nothing close to what
Oxford,  Cambridge define it as.  Though I was sure that India has
woken up, awakened and truly shining in her spirit and all her glory,
what I saw at Kashish   shocked me. (pleasantly – that is)

Firstly let me be shamelessly and brutally be honest about my
presumptions. When Sridhar  Rangayan – one of the karta dharta’s of
Kashish, was speaking about “looking at 2 venues” in which one was
probably a theater- I thought Sridhar was either drunk or just simply
bahut jyaada ambitious. How could a “Queer” festival find supporters
and an audience?  and why would anyone at all give their venue to a
“Queer” film festival? Definitely not someone who is not queer—my mind
had gone bonkers thinking about  all this, I thought this event will
be nice, and is the need of the hour. But was certain that it wouldn’t
cause the flutters that Sridhar thinks it would. Sridhar kept throwing
numbers like “20 countries”, 100+ films, 2 venues,  so many
languages.. vagaira vagaira..  I belittled them in my little mind .

Sridhar had invited me to the prevent launch party and I couldn’t make
it as I was stuck at work overnight. A cinema lover, that I am, I
wanted to attend the fest nonetheless.  I went to the website of
Kashish, and saw a registration form there. I was too lazy to fill it.
And I thought, it is just a formality, I could spread my feet on 4
seats and sit comfortably. No one was going to attend this anyway.

I didn’t register online. Luckily though, since I featured In one of
the documentaries (speak up! it’s not your fault) The director had
taken 2 extra passes. A colleague of mine and I were the lucky two to
avail of them.  I thought the theater would be empty. But as I moved
in, I dint find space to sit, and rather had to sit down for lack of
seats. Was I complaining – NO. Was I excited – YES YES YES. I the film
Speak UP! … and interacted with the audience, where I spoke about
child sexual abuse and homosexuality. It was a spirited session, and a
wonderful audience. I wanted to leave, I had to go back to office, but
I just couldn’t leave, the high spirits at kashish, were just
impossible to selfishly leave after watching the film featuring me. I
stayed back and glad I did. For the films that followed were just
fantastic, especially this musical called “fruit fly”… (a total unique
way of film making- and so perfect in all departments- cinematography,
edit, acting, sound etc etc).I stayed back till 9 pm.

I was so wrong. I made a mistake. These were not just numbers that
were achieved. It was sheer passion and compassion and the collective
energies of  entire team of Humsafar Trust  and Sridhar that made this
dream a reality. Now venues, sponsors  and brands have no reason to
shy away from a Queer Film Screening by saying “niche” audience. Well
honey, if this is niche, then niche means a crowd.

Let me end by being brutally truthful. – I envy every one of you, who
got to see even one movie more than me… and those who loved films and
thought like how I initially thought-  kashish, isn’t a koshish… it is
an achieved dream.  And I was a part of it. I am sorry Sridhar for my
negative feelings (though then, I never shared it with you). Today,  I
am glad I am wrong. And proud of you Vivek, Sridhar, Nitin  and the
entire family.

Kashish Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is lovely guys. I’m
going for my second helping today. You have registered? Then join me…
!!

--
In joy :-)

Me

Web Abode : www.hiyer.net
Twitter : www.twitter.com/hiyer
Facebook: www.facebook.com/HarishIyer
GTalk : people.n.nature
Yahoo/MSN/Windows (chat) harish.i...@hotmail.com
Press: www.slideshare.net/hiyer

GB Radio
www.gaybombay.in/gbradio
Gaybombay breaking news and annoucements
http://labs.google.co.in/smschannels/subscribe/Gaybombay
Emergency Helpline number 9820565885
Orkut:
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=22091955