Moderator could you please post the source web-link of this article? If
possible let us send protest emails to Lesley Pilkington and her brood.
If such hideous "therapies" like SOCE are being conducted with such
alarming impunity in "enlightened" countries like the US and UK I
shudder to think what kind of homophobic psychiatrists/counselors/mental
health workers we are breeding in India.
We need to make a list of homophobic psychiatrists/counselors in India
so that people could be forewarned. I understand that this is easier
said than done. But if readers of this forum could send in their
experiences it might help compile such a list.

Regards,
Deephttp://gaynotes.blogspot.com
======================\
source
http://www.sify.com/news/therapist-tries-to-turn-gay-man-straight-could-be-struck-off-news-international-lbrmkdhbfee.html

--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, moderator@... wrote:

> Therapist tries to turn gay man straight, could be struck off
>
> London, Jan 17 (IANS) A psychotherapist in Britain who tried to
convert a
> gay man into a heterosexual will know her fate this week in a hearing
that
> could see her stripped of her licence to practise under the British
> Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
>
> Lesley Pilkington, 60, a psychotherapist for 20 years, faces being
stripped
> of her accreditation to the BACP after treating a patient who had told
her
> he wanted to be "cured" of his homosexuality, The Telegraph reported
Sunday.

> The case will expose the growing use of hugely controversial
therapies, from
> the US, which attempt to make homosexual men heterosexual.
>
> The therapy has been described by the leading professional
psychotherapy
> body as "absurd", while the Royal College of Psychiatrists said
"so-called
> treatments of homosexuality" allow prejudice to flourish.
>
> A small group of counsellors believe all men are born heterosexual but
that
> some choose a homosexual lifestyle which can then be changed through
> counselling, the report said.
>
> The patient was in fact a prominent homosexual rights campaigner and
> journalist, who secretly recorded two sessions with Pilkington, a
devout
> Christian, before reporting her to the BACP.
>
> Pilkington says her method of therapy -- Sexual Orientation Change
Efforts
> (SOCE) -- is legitimate and effective. The therapy is practised by a
handful
> of psychotherapists in Britain.
>
> Pilkington, whose 29-year-old son is homosexual, said she was
motivated by a
> desire to help others. "He (my son) is heterosexual. He just has a
> homosexual problem," she said last week.
>
> Pilkington has accused Patrick Strudwick, the award-winning journalist
who
> secretly taped her, of entrapment. On the tape, Strudwick asks
Pilkington if
> she views homosexuality as "a mental illness, an addiction or an
> antireligious phenomenon". She replies: "It is all of that."
>
> "Entering into therapy with somebody who thinks I am sick... is the
> singularly most chilling experience of my life," Strudwick told The
Sunday
> Telegraph.
>
> Strudwick approached Pilkington at a largely Christian conference --
run by
> the US organisation The National Association for Research and Therapy
of
> Homosexuality -- where he said he was unhappy with his homosexual
lifestyle
> and that he "wanted to leave it". He then requested "treatment for his
> same-sex attraction".
>
> In May 2009, Strudwick attended a therapy session at Pilkington's
private
> practice, based at her home in Chorleywood, Hertfordshire, and
recorded the
> session on a tape machine strapped to his stomach.
>
> In the disciplinary letter sent to Pilkington, she is accused by BACP
of
> "praying to God to heal him (Strudwick) of his homosexuality". She is
also
> accused of having an "agenda that homosexuality is wrong and that gay
people
> can change and that you allegedly attempted to inflict these views on
him".

> Pilkington told The Sunday Telegraph: "He told me he was looking for a
> treatment for being gay. He said he was depressed and unhappy and
would I
> give him some therapy.
>
> "I told him I only work using a Christian biblical framework and he
said
> that was exactly what he wanted."
>
> The therapist added: "We don't use the word 'cure' because it makes it
> (homosexuality) sound like a disease. We are helping people move out
of that
> lifestyle because they are depressed and unhappy.
>
> "We say everybody is heterosexual but some people have a homosexual
problem.
> Nobody is born gay. It is environmental; it is in the upbringing."
>
> --Indo-Asian News service
>

> Email:

K54H