I think  I can speak with authority, because I am gay and I am also from the
town too...

Trichur pooram had a fantastic gay past and yours truly did have hi day under
the sun during the late eighteies and earl nineties. Pooram as a tourist
extravaganza was great but Pooram as a meeting place for gay people has been
going from bad to worse over the years. Locals have begun to know about what
outsiders do in their rooms and tend to clamp down on the number of people
visiting them in their rooms.

Locals who know of the goings on prey on gays out looking for some fun.... A
number of cruising spots have been closed down or or under constant
surveillance
by the cops and locals who want to have no trouble or even looking to making a
quick buck. There have been cases of guys having been roughed up and being
reported to their hotels in addition to their purses being emptied, or just
being bashed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A good number of people from Chennai, Bangalore and Mumbai plan their trip and
come for the Pooram, but there is only one thing I have to advise all those who
go... AYOR.. At Your Own Risk.

I may have painted a very sombre picture, but these are the facts.

Sincerely
Tom