Indian Minister Clarifies Anti-Gay Remarks

By Tripti Lahiri

India’s health minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad, who told an AIDS gathering this
week that sexual relations between men were “unnatural” and “a disease,” on
Tuesday clarified his remarks in a singularly unclear fashion.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-OP017_iazadb_CV_20110705133206.j
pg

Associated Press Photo

India’s health minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad, has been the focus of controversy
for his remarks on homosexuality.

“I have said something but half has been quoted, half has not been quoted,”
Mr. Azad told reporters. “We don’t want controversy because we have had
already enough in two years.”

Mr. Azad, who appeared to be referring to his government’s bad publicity
over corruption allegations, also said that he never even used the word gay
in his remarks.

“I am sorry if I have hurt feelings of any section of the society. During my
speech I used technical words. I kept myself very clear, didn’t use the word
homosexual or gay,” said Mr. Azad, according to a report on the website of
news channel NDTV
<http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/health-minister-offers-clarification-on-h
omophobic-remarks-116985> .  “The subject was HIV, [I] used man having sex
with man in Hindi for contracting HIV.”

That was not what it sounded like on Monday, when Mr. Azad spoke to a
gathering in New Delhi of district council leaders from across the country.

“Unfortunately, this disease, where a man has sex with a man, which is
absolutely unnatural and shouldn’t happen but it is happening, is spreading
around the world and has also come to India,” said Mr. Azad, speaking in
Hindi. “Even in our country the numbers of men having sex with men is
significant.”

Gay people and AIDS prevention activists said they were horrified, with some
calling for his resignation. By the time Mr. Azad clarified his remarks,
even the United Nations AIDS organization had weighed in.

“India’s rich tradition of inclusivity and social justice must include men
who have sex with men and transgender people,” said Michel Sidibé, executive
director of UNAIDS, according to a statement
<http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/pressreleaseandstatementarch
ive/2011/july/20110705psmsm/> .  “There is no place for stigma and
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.”

Mr. Azad’s remarks, like former South African president Thabo Mbeki
<http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2011/07/05/indian-health-minister-pulls-
an-mbeki/> ’s HIV skepticism, caused concern among gay rights and AIDS
prevention groups that, in addition to being offensive to gay people, this
would set back health efforts by showing that stigma around homosexuality
exists even at the highest reaches of the Indian government.

Email:
ZuyqMJgNC-L4S3BWR464eSfMgGEAMLax1OSqSI6REqIgVM3LQEejINlemMrw>
modera...@gaybombay.in

E Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay

http://groups.google.com/group/GayIndia