Some of the mails and messages I've been getting in response to the news that
the GoI is supporting the Naz verdict seem to suggest that people imagine we
have won in the Supreme Court.

I wish it was that simple.

The GoI's support is important and a bit of a breakthrough, but it certainly
does not mean we have won this battle. The Supreme Court Bench clearly wanted
to know the GoI's final view, and it has taken it on board, but how this will
affect their interpretation and the final verdict is anyone's guess.

The hearings are now almost over. Today morning Mr.Ashok Desai, the very senior
counsel (and an ex Attorney General opf India) who is appearing for Mr.Shyam
Benegal's intervention in support of the Delhi High Court verdict, finished
speaking (he had come on after Mr.Shyam Divan and from what I've heard from
those in court, he was brilliant).

After this the counsel for our remaining petitions, from mental health
professionals, from senior academics and one last one from Delhi lawyer and
activist Ratna Kapur, will be heard. This should finish today. Then our
opponents will be given a short chance to challenge what our side has said in
court and that will be it. The hearings will almost definitely conclude this
week.

After this the judges will have to come to a verdict and write it and this
could take months. I think the Delhi High Court took around six months to write
the Naz India verdict. Of course, it could also be done sooner. So while a
verdict is likely this year, it could be some time away.