As a mature daddy myself, may I make a few suggestions, please:

1. Be oblique, but candid.  These approaches are pretty clear, but not so
blatant you will have no way out if you have figured things wrong.

"I think you know, Maximilian, that I like you."

"It is flattering to have a mature gentleman take an interest in
me...especially one I think is (handsome) (interesting) (attractive)
(admirable)."

These statements should allow him to respond in a way that will make things
clearer.

For example:

A. Yes, my wife likes you also and hopes that you will be interested in our
daughter when she is older.  Ooops.  Oh well.

B. I like you very much.  You are like a son to me.  Hmmmmm.  He doesn't know
what he is saying, I'm guessing.  But this dumb response at least means you can
try again.

C. Let's go out to dinner sometime?  This man is quick.  Grab him!

2. You suggest dinner, but include him in the decision.

"Max, do you think it would be a problem at work if we went out to dinner
sometime?"

3. Ask for his advice on a "personal" problem, perhaps as a way to arrange
lunch or after work.  Make the personal problem related to being gay, but not
specific.

"Max, my family is pressuring me to get married.  That is all they think about.
 I am tired of hearing it."

All of these devices are really a way of letting him him know that you are open
to talking.  Believe me, talking is much less of a commitment than putting your
hand on his knee.  Although it is not completely clear, I assume from what you
write that you work with this man AND you are not certain he thinks of himself
as gay.

Proceed cautiously.  You don't want to lose a job or create a mess at work.

Finally, you said something about ending up in bed.  If that is a disaster or a
flat tire or just a mistake, facing this man at work day after day could be
miserable.  Don't rush anything.

On behalf of mature daddies, thanks for your interest.
S.