*EK MADHAV BAUG AT RAVINDRA NATYA MANDIR, DADAR*

* *

*23rd December 2012, Sunday*

*Show Timings- 8pm and 9:30pm*

*Language: Hindi*

* *

Alternate Initiatives presents “Ek Madhav Baug,” a Hindi play by the late
celebrated playwright Chetan Datar. “Ek Madhav Baug” is a pioneering
Marathi language play about homosexuality and acceptance of the gay
community. A 70-minute soliloquy, it has been translated into Hindi by Mona
Ambegaonkar and Vivek Anand, and is enacted by Mona Ambegaonkar.

 This poignant play tells the story of a 21 year-old youth coming to terms
with his sexuality. The play is seen from the point of view of his mother
who discovers that her son is gay and through his diary, relives his
journey of discovery of his own sexuality.

 Ticketed Performance at Mini Theatre, P.L. Deshpande Academy, - Ravindra
Natya Mandir, Prabhadevi - Mumbai, Maharashtra , on Sunday December 23rd,
The play will be presented in Hindi.
*

**
Ticket price:- Rs 300/-

Tickets available at The "Ravindra Natya Mandir" Box office from 20th
December onward.

Why you should experience Ek Madhav Baug this Sunday.

• Hindustan Times
o It is one of the most prominent and promising plays in India that openly
speaks of the issue of homosexuality. Acceptance and reconciliation of a
different kind.
o The audience remained speechless for sometime even after the performance
was over. The audience did react; it was applause.
o The play deserves a presence in the mainstream forums since it speaks of
the universal love and affection between mother and son, irrespective of
sexuality.

• Times of India
o Ek Madhav Baug is generally rega rded as one of the best Indian plays to
address homosexuality.
o This play makes you look at people around you and say, ‘Why is their
sexual orientation interesting to me at all?’

• Nagpur times
o “When I saw this play a few years back, I was moved to tears because it
talks about the dilemma of a gay and his revelations to his mother”- Prince
Manvendra Singh

• TNN
o Though it is based on life, art can give an expression to unsaid feelings
and emotions that can make life easier. Perhaps, it was this power of art
that the city’s LGBTQ community that wished to utilize when they organized
a play reading for EMB by renowned actress Mona Ambegaonkar.
o “These types of events must happen throughout the nation as they prove to
be eye openers and give freedom to those who are overlooked in our
society.” – Prince Manvendra Singh
*