Thanks for giving us one more thing to bitch and moan about.  Like we don't
have enough. Really man, get a life!

--- On Wed, 5/1/13, vgd67 <vg...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

From: vgd67 <vg...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: g_b the bhabhi factor
To: gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 8:01 AM

      A friend of mine recently told me, with some exasperation, of the
problems he has been having with his bhabhi. His problem is not that his sister
in law is not supportive - its that she is too supportive!

She seems to be quite thrilled at having a gay brother in law, keeps alluding
to the guy he has started dating and every now and then breaks into songs from
Dostana! Really! All of which is a bit much for my friend, who's a fairly
private and work focussed person in general.

I guess other people must wish they had problems like this. Its certainly not
true that bhabhi's are always supportive. Sometime back we got a call from a
guy who needed legal help because of a really bitter fight that had broken out
in his family between him and his mother (who knew about him being gay and was
supportive) and his brother who was very aggressive and hostile, not least
because he was being egged on by his wife, who seemed to want to kick him out
of the house (which he part owned with his mother) and take possession of the
whole place.

But the supportive bhabhi still seems to be quite common. Perhaps its because
she appreciates one male member of the family she now lives in who might be an
ally and not a threat, and perhaps also its her outsider-now-turned-insider
role in the family that allows her to be supportive without being personally
hurt as family members often seem to be when a kid comes out as gay.

What have the experiences of people here been with their sisters in law? I
don't have one, since I only have one sister (my brother in law is perfectly
supportive and friendly, but disinterested in the issue). And have people also
had the problem my friend is having of a sister in law, or maybe just a friend
or colleague, who is supportive to the point of embarassment?

Vikram