Info copy-pasted from msmgf. FYI - Aditya

---------------

just wanted to pass along the below information (thanks for bringing it to our
attention Don!) about a recent debate on LGBT health that took place at the
World Health Assembly.

Link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nils-daulaire/world-health-organization-lgbt_b_3430849.html?utm_hp_ref=email_share

The World Health Organization (WHO) -- the health body of the United Nations --
has led efforts to reduce health disparities for women, ethnic, racial and
religious minorities, those with disabilities, and others who have struggled to
attain the health care they need. We think it is timely for WHO to take this
same leadership role for the LGBT population. During the May 2013 WHO Executive
Board meeting, the topic of what WHO should be doing on this front was
scheduled to be discussed.

When the U.S., Thailand and Brazil petitioned to have an LGBT health item added
to the Board meeting's agenda, we realized it would lead to a robust debate.
Unfortunately, history was made in another way when a number of African and
Middle Eastern countries, called for the item's deletion from the agenda. Never
before in the history of WHO has one Executive Board member asked that an item,
legitimately placed on the agenda by other member states, be removed.

Six hours of debate on whether this was a topic that should even be addressed
by WHO ensued. Some delegates claimed that all populations in their countries
have equal and guaranteed access, not acknowledging health disparities, and
argued that any explicit discussion of LGBT health issues would be divisive and
damaging to public health. These states also argued that any discussion of LGBT
health is a political issue which belongs in the Human Rights Council instead
of WHO. The most outspoken and contentious statements from these opposing
delegations included vehement denial that there was any discrimination and
stating sexual orientation was a choice and therefore outside the health arena.

Equally passionate supporters from the European and Americas regions spoke to
how ensuring health access for all is a core part of WHO's work, and that this
must include all vulnerable populations. In the statement I made on behalf of
the U.S. government, I reminded my colleagues that while sensitive, this is
clearly a global public health issue, and a significant public health burden
that needs to be discussed.

Ultimately a compromise was reached. The item was removed from the day's
agenda, and over the coming months the head of WHO, Dr. Margaret Chan, will
talk with concerned governments to find common ground to identify WHO's role.
If wording can be agreed, the item will presumably be added to the agenda of
the January 2014 Executive Board meeting…