Checked him out on the internet.  Manil Suri is a very handsome man!  ;o)
On Wed, 6/26/13, Vikram D <vg...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

 Subject: g_b Manil Suri on being gay and Indian
 To: "gaybom...@yahoogroups.com" <gaybom...@yahoogroups.com>,
"gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com" <gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com>,
"lgbt-in...@yahoogroups.com" <lgbt-in...@yahoogroups.com>,
"khush-l...@yahoogroups.com" <khush-l...@yahoogroups.com>,
"movenp...@yahoogroups.com" <movenp...@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 11:34 AM

       Manil Suri, the novelist (The
 Death of Vishnu, The Age of Shiva, The City of Devi) has
 written a wonderful piece in Granta on being gay and Indian.
 He writes about his loneliness growing up, how it was the
 real if concealed reason for his leaving India for the US,
 the qualified support he got from his mother when he came
 out to her, his father's ability to just ignore facts,
 the hopeful signs of change in India and the reasons it
 might be both limited yet more real than in other parts of
 the world.

 It is
  just the piece to read in these few hours before the US
 Supreme Court delivers its decision on gay marriage, and the
 diminishing time before the Indian Supreme Court delivers
 its decision on the Section 377 (no date for decision, but
 early December is the deadline since that's when Justice
 Singhvi retires). Here's the link and a few paras:

 http://www.granta.com/New-Writing/How-to-be-Gay-and-Indian
 "While launching my
 new novel at the
 Kolkata Book Festival this year, I was warned that Calcutta
 was a very
 conservative city. ‘Whatever you do, don’t read out any
 of the gay
 scenes. Especially not the gay sex
 scenes.’

 "Naturally, that’s exactly what I did. The
 results were disappointing.
  Nobody shouted, nobody swooned, the city seemed to pull
 through just
 fine. Surely such provocation deserved more of a reaction?
 This was
 supposed to be my great in-your-face coming-out campaign,
 which I’d
 fretted over for months beforehand. Had India suddenly lost
 its
 conservativeness, turned enlightened, even
 hip?"