Is India ready for gay marriage?
Saturday, Jun 29, 2013, 8:55 IST | Agency: DNA
 [image: Manish Mishra]
Manish Mishra <http://www.dnaindia.com/authors/manish-mishra>

If US can, why can't we?

This week was significant for gay rights across the world. It was a moment
of reckoning in the US when the Defense of Marriage Act, the law barring
the federal government from recognising same-sex marriages legalised by the
states, was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

“The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the
purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its
marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity,” Justice
Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. “By seeking to displace this
protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected
than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment.”

However, India is still far away from a scenario when gay marriage will be
accepted by the state and the society. We spoke to some of our luminaries
to understand what dogs gay freedom in India and is there a positive
future?

*Wendell Rodricks*
India has been progressive when it comes to accepting homosexuality. The
courts have ruled that section 377 be amended. Indian society and the law
will one day accept gay behaviour as natural because it is! Some have taken
that step already in religious ceremonies.

*Dhruv Kapur*
A part of the fault here lies with society and its social rules and
construct overpowering people’s views on an individual. The second party at
fault are people who identify as LGBTQI individuals and yet choose to keep
that a secret from their families and friends. I see marriage equality in
India, just not anytime soon.

*Swapnil Shinde*
I think India is just opening up to gay and lesbian relationships, so it’s
too early to expect our government to have such laws, more so even in the
general eye as far as media, television and the Hindi cinema is concerned.
Homosexuality is still used as a humour quotient and even ridiculed. It’s
bizarre that a lot of people still think of it as a curable “disease”. So
many parents take their kids for counselling.
*
Aniket Satam*
This is the land of Kamasutra. Spiritual gurus with no firm base of
religious understanding are just in a race to challenge the superiority of
other faiths and fuel gender politics. Being an optimist and strong
supporter of individual freedom, I can see that day coming soon. Legalising
gay marriages would install a stronger base for LGBT groups.

*Rajat Tangri*
India is a very traditional country and we have yet to accept love
marriages so accepting gay marriages is way behind. We do not even respect
women and have gone viral for rapes even gang rapes and torture. How can a
society that does not respect its women be progressive in its thinking?
Ignorance is one of the main reasons why homosexuality is looked down upon
in India. We mostly follow a herd mentality and do not analyse an issue
before coming to a judgment. I do not see gay marriages happening in India.

--
*Email: modera...@gaybombay.in

E Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay