http://chennaidost.com/how-is-it-being-gay-in-india/

*How is it being gay in India?*

“How is it being gay?”, not everyone on earth can dare to face such a blow
and in India the picture is even worse. Of course, no friend or colleague
would often ask you this question, because few gay in India can gather guts
to come out of the closet and let their peers know their true sexual
orientation. But we do face questions of this type if we are bold enough to
claim our sexual preferences to our loved ones.
On several occasions, I remember I faced questions of this kind which are
somewhat very ironical and pinching. One reporter from a Tamil media once
asked me “why are you being gay”, as if I had a tray full of chocolates and
I have picked up the most distasteful one. Most of my straight friends to
whom I came out asked me “how does it feel like?” Well, I always knew they
were curious and they proved me right most of the times.

Quite often, few straight guys ask me direct “how do you feel like while
having sex with another guy?” And the fun is they still claimed to belong
the straight lot of people; they keep pestering me over this topic by
saying- “I never had sex with another guy before”. Come on dude! Why don’t
you just try and taste the pleasure?. On one fine morning, one of my
heterosexual friends said “I don’t think you are gay, you look so normal”.
I exploded with laughter and asked him “so, how do you think a gay person
would look like?”. He shrugged his shoulders and replied “they are simply
shemales!”. Most of the straight friends,I know, think of gays as guys with
boobs and erectile dysfunctional issues . I grabbed his hand and let it
check my chest structure and then brought his hand down to my lower abdomen
so that he could shake off his baseless belief. And I asked him “now what
do you think about my flat chest and erected male organ? Gays are healthy
men too and I wouldn’t mind take to my bed and give you the most credible
proof of it”. Since this incident, I have never seen him in so far in my
life. He just disappeared abruptly.

Over the past one year I have been appearing on many Tamil television
channels and newspapers since I thought my visibility and onscreen presence
will make an impact. So right after my interview on a popular Tamil
channel, a tea shop owner from my neighbourhood asked me “I saw you on TV
last night, what were you saying?, I couldn’t understand anything”. Well, I
spoke on the TV for an hour about homosexuality and gay rights in
vernacular Tamil, but I had to face question like that. On another
occasion, I had a chance to appear on Sun News for a show with Dr.Kamaraj;
there they facilitated live tele-calls from the viewers. Dr.Kamaraj is one
of the popular faces on the small screen who generally appears on talk
shows related to sex and sex related issues. As it was expected, there were
plenty of calls from rural and small town dwellers where the callers made
several homophobic comments. One such caller was the elder brother of a
homosexual guy. He had asked the doctor if there was any cure to mould his
brother’s sexuality and then the doctor had replied “yes there is, if your
brother is willing to undergo a change”. My response was simple; the doctor
was “a total bullshit” or something of that kind. After the live talk show
was over I asked Dr.Kamaraj-”so how will you cure a homosexual becuase it’s
a different sexual orientation, not a disease at all. Is there any brain
and heart transplantation method from heterosexuals to mould gays into
straights?”.

Last year my sister asked me “how are you managing my life with a guy?”.
Yes, it isn’t easy especially for a guy like me who once had been into a
relationship with a woman where she used to take care of all household
activities. If two men want to live in the same house for several years, it
needs more tenacity than a wedding ceremony and growing up the kids really
take. It needs a strong bond, a chemistry which ties you forever and an
understanding to exist all the way through. So the answer to how I am
living my life up with a guy for 5 years or so is just simple; maybe my
sister also forgotten the magic key which is called ‘love’. I. Know it
would be difficult for most of theIndian women to understand it; they are
many times forced into ‘arranged loveless ever-binding marriage’. They were
just been told by their parents “my daughter, this is your husband and you
to be in love with him forever” …

Everytime I open my lunch box in my office I have to face a strange look
from my colleagues It seems that they are not just sneaking into my
lunchbox but also trying to intrude into my privacy through my bedroom
window too.
Everytime I face the question “how is it being gay in india” I remember an
incident which occurred right after I came out for the first time to a
friend. He took me to our favorite Besant nagar beach where we generally
gather together on weekends. Every time a good-looking guy was passing
across us, he asked me “what do you think about that guy, do you like
him?”. I was a little embarrassed by the sheer frankness of the situation
because that was not something we have ever discussed before. He said
“well, all these years whenever we came here at this beach I used to talk
about girls and comment about them to you and I could feel the pain of your
silence that used to make you mute all those times. From now on, you don’t
have to keep anything locked up within your heart. Feel free to tell me, I
am your friend”. Well, I think that’s what you and I call true friendship.
He helped me face all my fears of being a homosexual and I even won over
the nervousness to come out at least to those who know me well and love me
much.
However, let’s get back to the point “how is it being gay in india?”. I
decided to ask other gay men. Two months ago, for the film festival
arrangement and management, I met a lot of people and this list includes a
gay friend who is very popular as a TV host and I invited him to attend the
festival, even though I knew he won’t come. “Vikki, its not easy being gay
and a celebrity all the same. I have everything now. Media, popularity,
car, house and money but I am not happy, not really happy; whenever I am on
my own at home I feel bore to death on one hand. On the other, I am afraid
if I ever come to your event even as a supporter I will lose everything I
have earned so far and I have no choice but to live with it”. Well, I don’t
think he earned anything so far except loneliness.

Recently, a 19 year old boy came to meet me at my office. He belongs to a a
small town in Tirunelveli district. “Vikranth anna, I have been waiting to
meet you for a long time. Finally I managed to make it happen in reality
It’s not easy being gay from my part of the world. I never talk about it to
anyone yet. I am scared and I don’t know what I am going to do for the rest
of my life. Everytime when my friends cracks jokes about homosexuals
without knowing I am one among them I feel a pain deep down. I wanted to
find a partner like you did; but whoever I like in my college seem to be
straights. I am afraid, the fear and shame within me are not allowing me to
focus on my studies” and he went on like that for two hours and I quietly
sat and listened to him. I knew I was the first person to whom he is
opening up his sexual orientation and probably the last person if he goes
back home.

Lately if anyone ask me “how is it being gay in india”. I tell him or her
“its awesome dude! You just have to give it a shot and see -that’s all”.

*Written by: Vikranth Prasanna
*
*Edited by: Amit kumar Dey*