 From: Vikram D <vg...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "gaybom...@yahoogroups.com" <gaybom...@yahoogroups.com>;
"movenp...@yahoogroups.com" <movenp...@yahoogroups.com>;
"gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com" <gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2013 4:11 PM
Subject: g_b Mumbai Police - Prithviraj plays gay

Has anyone seen this Malayalam film Mumbai Police where the actor Prithviraj is
one of the policemen of the title and also plays gay?

Yes, you read that right, this is the same ridiculously hunky Prithvirajwho was
the lust object in the film Aiyyaa (written and directed, as it happens, by an
openly gay director who clearly knew how to pick a proper object of lust).

I haven't seen the film, but from the reviews and comments I've read it seems
that, sadly, the idea of Prithviraj playing a gay character is pretty much the
only good thing about the film from a gay point of view. But it would be good
to get views from someone who has actually seen it. I certainly plan to, when
the dvd is released later this month.

The Mumbai Police of the title are not really policemen from Mumbai. They are
three police guys from Kerala, but who worked with the force in Mumbai for a
while and have picked up the nickname since. Prithviraj is one of them and has
to investigate the murder of another one of the three, but is somewhat hampered
by the fact he was in an accident and lost his memory.

The links below will give more of an idea of the film, which apparently was a
big hit in the Malayalam market. But if anyone has actually seen it, please
mail in about what you thought about it, how Prithviraj handled being a gay
character, how other gay characters, if any, were handled, and do you see the
film as good or bad for lgbt rights?

http://starscrutiny.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/mumbai-police-a-review/

http://malayalamscinema.blogspot.com/2013/05/review-mumbai-police.html

http://petalsfromtheheart.blogspot.in/2013/05/mumbai-police-movie-review-prithviraj.html\\