Apologies for the fact that I've cross Posted this reply also to the GB and
the G_B lists.

Dear Niruj and others at ALF who are organising this,

Due to the logistics of life I'm unable to attend, but I'm really grateful
that this attempt is being made to train people on Archiving. The
suggestion that possible updates on sessions would be made is a excellent
one, and I'd request you please go through with it in spite of the
constraints, for it'd really be helpful. The website where the bigger
details can be posted later is also be a big help.

I've been an instinctive archivist, for I hate deleting anything. I've
therefore ended up saving articles, papers, news items, pictures, write
ups, and many more. Some in Hard Copies, much much more in soft copies. But
without the necessary skills about the art and science of archiving, it's
just become a mass of confused mess, and even I don't really know how to
get to particular bits of information when I need it.

I'm also glad that a little while before Late Shivananda Khan died, I'd
kind of forced him to give me his collected archive of over 20 years of
work. In soft copy. Another jumbled mess of over 10GB data.

I realise both my archive and Shiv's are priceless to our history. What I
don't know is:
1) What to do with it?
2) How to organise it scientifically, so that it becomes accessible and
usable?
2a) how to find the resource and manpower that's needed to get these
archives organised. Frankly I've tried and failed mostly because I just
don't have the time while I'm also working.
3) How to find the time and resources for doing it!
4) What to do about its safety. And to ensure that it is available to the
public and not lost. (That is a genuine risk, for if I should suddenly die,
this may get really lost).

These are some of the questions I'd really like answers for. If they can be
addressed to your resource persons, and then shared online, I'd be really
helpful.

Thanks again and best,
Aditya Bondyopadhyay

(Sent from my iPad)

On Friday, August 16, 2013, Niruj Mohan Ramanujam wrote:

> **
>

> Hello all
>
> Just to remind you all about the workshop on Queer Archiving, on August
> 17-18 (saturday-sunday). It will be held at Indian Social Institute (24,
> Benson Road, Benson Town). If you are in Bengaluru, please do drop in.
>
> The latest schedule is at
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzXf-ft2iX4IMDZwMWstdTZTY0k
>
> Do also join us on https://www.facebook.com/groups/644145762275922/
> Internet connectivity permitting, we will try post short summaries of each
> session there periodically, thoughout the weekend, but no promises. We will
> also announce a blog with summaries from panelists.
>
> If you are unable to attend, but have any material, ideas or plans to
> archive something, or are a part of a project not being talked about here,
> email us and we will mention them on the 2nd day discussions to let
> everyone know.
>
> regards
> Niruj, Amrita, ALF

ADITYA BONDYOPADHYAY
Development Sector Consultant
Advocate (Regd. No. F-218/192 of 1997, Bar Council of W.Bengal, India)

Website: http://adityabondyopadhyay.webs.com/
================================
Notice to all recipients:
Communication not intended for you but reaching you inadvertently needs to
be treated as confidential and destroyed or deleted immediately. Use of
such communication in a manner prejudicial to the interest of Aditya
Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his agents
respectively, may attract legal proceedings which may be of a civil or
criminal nature.

Aditya Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his
agents respectively cannot be held liable or accountable for any and every
communication reaching out through this email account that is an unaltered
forward of another communication received by this email account, or a
referred source available on the internet and accessible to the public.