And as we wait for the SC verdict, what better way to divert ourselves than
this fascinating study on which US states are the largest... on a parameter of
some interest for these lists.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/03/which-state-is-the-biggest/

I know one Indian gay guy who was in North Dakota - possibly the only Indian
gay guy ever in North Dakota - who was desperate to leave the place. Either he
didn't know about this, or the survey is a lie, or he just wasn't into this
particular statistic.

This also reminds me of this piece I had done for TimeOut ages back. Does this
fit with the experience of people on these lists? :

Queer I – Statistics
Ally Gator,
Mumbai, 18/12/2006

I don’t know
why the Indian Council of Medical Research didn’t ask the gay community before
they undertook their study which has just established that the average Indian
penis is too small for the average available condom size. My friend D could
have told them that years ago. From travels across the country, and the range
available in cosmopolitan Mumbai, he’s become an expert observer (and then
rather more) of the Indian penis, and not just national averages but regional
variations as well.

D tells me
that Kashmiri men come largest, which could be another reason why nationalists
won’t let the state go, for fear of further reducing the national average.
Next, he tells me, come the Punjabis and Haryanvis, and after that it tends to
diminishes the further East and South you travel, though there are sudden peaks
in pockets like Kerala. Could this be the reason behind the party name proudly
chosen
by the Democratic Indira Congress (Karunakaran)?

D is not the
only penis surveyor that I’ve known in the gay community. J, a British friend
who was posted here some years back, undertook photographic documentation in
what he called The Great Indian Dick Project. He’d go up to men at random,
explain his anthropological aims and ask if they would participate in the
project. He made it clear that only the penis, no other feature of the subject,
would be photographed and perhaps because of this close focus, perhaps out of
instinctive deference to the British, perhaps from a genuine urge to aid
scientific enquiry, a surprising number of the men readily agreed, with no
pressure or payment, to drop their pants.

The only
problem was afterwards when, despite his initial explanation, many seemed to
expect further attentions from J. Unfortunately for them his only interest
really was documentation, and it was interesting, even rather endearing, to
watch all his pictures spread out. No matter how limp the initial enthusiasm of
the subject, facing the camera would stiffen their spirits (unfortunately the
camera was too fast for them, so the results tended to evoke a set of views of
the Leaning Tower of Pisa). A few did stand out - I remember one exceptional
engineer from Nashik - but really all seemed quite serviceable.

And that, I
think, is the view that most guys would take, the odd size queen like D
notwithstanding. Despite stereotypes I think most gay men are pragmatic enough
to go for the whole package, rather than just one element. After all, despite
these global size surveys that routinely put China
and India
at the bottom, both top in population so functionality is hardly the issue. And
gay men can also reflect happily on another survey, from the Kinsey Institute
in the US,
which after extensive research has concluded that (modest pause) gay men do
tend to be larger. Let’s just avoid the question of whether its abuse of
statistics if some guys like D use this to conclude that size indicates
opportunity...

ends