An American friend and activist who is not on this list had this to say about
this post:

"""
It comes down to this: Come out of the closet.

In the USA, we had a persistent period of outness in the gay community that
started with the "Silence = Death" reaction to many deaths due to AIDS. Some of
us were political and business leaders who just made sure that all our
constituents and colleagues knew we were gay. As a student leader in the 1980s,
at some times I felt absurd, like when I introduced myself to people in a US
Student Association convention saying, "Hi, I'm Dan Greening, President of the
University of California Student Association and I'm gay." This sort of thing
happened throughout the society: many people coming out to family members,
colleagues, friends with a persistence. It caused a lot of personal "growth",
if you will excuse the expression, as we discovered who our personal friends
and enemies were. We discovered we had many closeted enemies who were gay,
which then led to a then-controversial, now-widely-accepted practice of outing
hypocritical anti-gay closeted gay people in leadership roles. Many of us came
out to hostile family members, and then had to figure out how to construct our
own families.

To get where we are today took many decades. Advances and losses took place on
many fronts: legal, societal, personal. We had many moments where we
discovered, as you are now discovering, that supposedly well-meaning political
organizations "on our side" abandoned us when they saw that their candidacies
were in jeopardy due to their support of gays.

What worked, in the end, was hundreds of thousands of people being open about
their status. With everyone in our society knowing someone gay, it became
unfashionable and unsustainable to maintain anti-gay discrimination.
Ultimately, the US gay marriage ban is falling for this same reason, with some
US states seeing voters, by referendum, passing laws in support of gay marriage.

Of course we need and appreciate powerful friends, but if we are too weak
ourselves, they will not commit what they perceive to be political suicide on
our behalf. Obama has become a great friend to gays in his second term, but
this arose because we have term-limits for Presidents in the US. He can't run
for a third term. So he is now doing what he wants to do personally, he doesn't
have to worry about the political fallout from supporting gays. And, too, the
society has changed in the past 4 years. We have a couple of prominent news
anchors who are gay, talk show hosts, we just had a up-and-coming football
player come out, we have congressional representatives who are gay.

In short, come out. Get your friends to come out. And prepare for a long slog.
Create support groups for gays. Donate money and time. Did I mention coming out?
"""

Best,
Aditya Bondyopadhyay
(Sent from my iPhone)