[image: Bay Area Reporter]

http://ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=69532

03/06/2014

  Advocates take issue with 'MSM' by Chuck Colbert
As more and more baby boomers age, some gay men are feeling a whole lot
more than the physical challenges of growing older, especially in a
youth-obsessed culture, perhaps more pronounced among LGBTs than overall
society at large.

 For HIV-positive gay men now entering their 50s, some of whom have lived
with HIV for decades, being alive is an achievement. And yet stigma around
HIV-positive status, let alone gayness, persists, along with the general
overall invisibility of long-term survivors of the epidemic, some of whom
often experience trauma, depression, and isolation, even survivors' guilt.

 Just as the numbers of gay seniors are increasing, some of these
gray-haired gays are organizing to press local AIDS service organizations
and health care providers for better mental health and medical services to
meet a host of health care needs of older people living with HIV.

 And along with organizing comes some push back against a widely used term
by epidemiologists and researchers: MSM, or men who have sex with men. At
issue is nothing less than preserving gay male (and bisexual) identity in
the midst of MSM's widespread use.

 MSM was coined in 1994 and "moved beyond HIV literature to become
established in both research and health programming," according to Rebecca
Young, Ph.D., and Ilan H. Meyer, Ph.D., in a July 2005 article from the
American Journal of Public Health, in which the authors suggest the term
MSW, as well as WSW (women who have sex with women), erases sexual-minority
persons from public health discourse.

 "MSM and WSW often imply a lack of lesbian or gay identity and an absence
of community, networks and relationships, in which the same-gender pairings
mean more than merely sexual behavior," the authors write, explaining,
overuse of those terms "adds to a history of scientific labeling of sexual
minorities that reflects, and inadvertently advances heterosexist notions."

 While not suggesting an outright jettisoning of the MSM or WSW
terminology, Young and Meyer advocate "public health professionals should
adopt more nuanced and culturally relevant language in discussing members
of sexual-minority groups."

 Voicing agreement, local and national HIV/AIDS activists, organizational
leadership, and medical researchers flesh out in further detail the
problematic nature of MSM terminology and usage.

 "Nobody says, 'Hi, I am an MSM,'" said Tez Anderson in a recent telephone
interview. Anderson is a founder of the San Francisco grassroots group
http://www.LetsKickASS.org <http://www.letskickass.org/>. (The acronym ASS
stands for AIDS Survivor Syndrome.)

 Anderson readily acknowledges MSM came into acceptance with the changing
face of the epidemic, particularly the rise of HIV infection among African
Americans and Latinos, many on the down low and reluctant to identify as
gay although enjoying sex with other men.

 Nonetheless, he said, "As a gay man, I kind of resent it because let's
face it: AIDS has been, is, and probably will be a largely gay men's
epidemic."

 Anderson went on to say, "What's wrong with [MSM] is that it separates a
single sexual act from an identity."

 Longtime gay-rights and AIDS activist Jeff Sheehy also finds the term MSM
somewhat problematic. However, he said during a recent telephone interview,
"I think it made a lot of sense from a surveillance point of view in
counting" HIV infections, adding, "It did capture a lot behavior" and is "a
way to capture a much broader risk population, a way to define risk," that
is "almost clinical."
While MSM "made developing programming and programming more accessible," he
said, "It is also disempowering to gay men."

 But MSM nomenclature is okay for blogger, educator, and HIV/AIDS activist
Mark King.

 "It always sounded clinical to me, as an out gay man, but nothing that
particularly offends me," he said. "I see it as casting a wider net to
capture those who don't consider themselves gay, and that's cool."

 Dr. Kenneth Mayer, medical research director and co-chair of the Fenway
Institute at Boston's Fenway Health, discussed MSM's usefulness within the
nuanced and complicated landscape of human behavior.

 "Context is key. Sexuality involves a complex array of issues, including
attraction, identity, and behavior, and they do not always vary together,
and their alignment will differ among different individuals and between
different cultures. Specific words are appropriate in different settings,"
he said in an email.

 "For example," Mayer continued, "when talking about identity, I think the
majority of gay men and transgender women in the U.S. would probably not
think 'MSM' was an appropriate term, but when the CDC [Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention] or WHO [World Health Organization] is trying to
explain how HIV is being transmitted in different parts of the world, then
'MSM' is highly appropriate."

 Rafael Mazin, a senior adviser for HIV, sexually transmitted infections,
and hepatitis at the Pan American Health Organization, which is the WHO
office for the Americas, said that the agency uses the term "MSM as a
construct that explains behavior rather than identity or belonging to a
certain group or cultures."

 He said the term is useful because it allows policy makers and people
responsible for intervention development of provider services that target
certain populations who don't identify as gay or bisexual men.

 The agency also acknowledges gay and bi men, for example using "gay men"
in its reports, while at the same time "MSM" catches certain behavior and
in some cases men who don't want to acknowledge a gay or bi identity.

 Scott Bryan, director of news media for the CDC, said in an email that the
agency uses the term "MSM" in CDC surveillance systems and when referring
to specific HIV risk behaviors. He added that the following notation is
used in many of the agency's communications materials: "The term men who
have sex with men is used in CDC surveillance systems. It indicates the
behaviors that transmit HIV infection, rather than how individuals
self-identify in terms of the sexuality."

*Trans exclusion*

 In offering an assessment, Lance Toma, executive director of San
Francisco's Asian and Pacific Islander Wellness Center, voiced concerns
about transgender exclusion and divisions caused within the LGBT community
over MSM's continued usage.

 "The term 'MSM' emerged during a time when we were trying to identify and
target high-risk behaviors in our approach to HIV prevention," he said in
an email. "As our efforts have evolved over time, we now approach this work
from both a behavioral lens and an identity lens, meaning that the identity
of gay and bisexual men matters when it comes to addressing their needs and
concerns related to HIV prevention. MSM must only reflect those men who do
not identify as gay or bisexual, but who do have sex with other men. MSM
should no longer be used as a catchall term that encompasses identity and
behavior."

 Toma continued, "The long-standing injustice of the term MSM at a national
level is that it also encompassed the behavioral category of transgender
women who were having sex with men. It is imperative that we move beyond
this. Our country lagged in its response to the HIV epidemic in the
transgender community because of this behavioral targeting in isolation of
sexual orientation and gender identity. This was exacerbated by the fact
that data was being collected in this way, completely obscuring the HIV
epidemic in the transgender community. The current unacceptably high rates
of HIV prevalence in the transgender community is a horrible ramification,
and it is our responsibility as a community to make this right and go above
and beyond for the health of our transgender community."

 Toma also said the term creates division between the HIV and LGBT
communities.

 "'MSM' does not fit in the LGBT community-organizing framework, and it
shouldn't have to. This is where language matters. If we are truly
committed to an AIDS-free generation, we must have both the HIV community
and the LGBT community working together," he said.

 Based in Lansing, Michigan, freelance journalist and HIV/AIDS educator
Todd Heywood went even further, calling out MSM as "inherently
transphobic," adding he struggles with MSM terminology for a couple of
reasons.

 "The term was adopted by CDC, WHO and other health officials in an attempt
to identify behavior and not identities," Heywood said in an email. "This
was done in large part to minimize the stigma of being male and
HIV-positive - the implication, of course, was that you were gay. In real
terms, there are real people, often young people, struggling for economic
survival, who engage in male/male sexual activity as survival sex
strategies. They do not identify as gay, and in fact many of them are not
gay. They are gay for pay, as the old porno adage goes. So messaging to men
at risk because of male/male sexual activity was hampered by this barrier
of identity. So on that point, it makes absolute sense."

 But he added that the number of people who fall into that "gay for pay"
category is small.

 "On the other hand, I believe this risk group is extremely small. So we
are catering to a small group of people who are at risk, and in the process
dismissing identities," Heywood said. "As a self-identified queer man, I
find this troubling. It allows, and has allowed, the LGBT national
community to completely avoid the continuing impact of this epidemic on gay
and bisexual men in particular, and homosexually active men in general. You
certainly don't see the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force or Human Rights
Campaign announcing they represent the MSM community, and the thought of
that would appall most American LGBT community members, because it strips
us of our community, our social identities and reduces us to sex -
something we have always been defined by, and often oppressed for. So being
defined solely by what we do, or do not do, in our bedrooms, becomes deeply
offensive. It ignores this rich diverse community of ours."

 Yet another concern said Heywood, "Is this construct implies that somehow
all MSM activity is inherently the same risk level, and that all MSM engage
in the same sexual activity. It also implies that somehow heterosexuals do
not practice the riskiest sexual activity, anal sex, which we know is
simply untrue. This in turn serves to create us as 'other' in the minds of
modern America, when in fact, we do many of the same things sexually."

 Heywood advocates finding "a balance between the behavioral risk and
identity - both for more accurate epidemiology and for more effective
prevention messaging."

 "I would caution, however, so many younger folks reject labels, and are
happy just being who they are, with whomever they choose."

 For her part, Julie JD Davids, director of the Chicago-based HIV
Prevention Justice Alliance, said in an email that her organization
"considers MSM to be an epidemiological term, which even at that is often
used incorrectly or incompletely, for example, to include men who have sex
with men and women, or is used too broadly as with transgender women."

 She added, "Gay and bisexual men is generally preferred as descriptive and
culturally-relevant language."
Still, said Davids, "I sometimes write, cumbersomely, 'gay and bisexual
men, and other men who have sex with men' if I want to be as
all-encompassing as possible."