I have a machine running Linux Mint with a fresh python 2.7.14 with pip 18.0
Importing gc3pie library fails with the following traceback:

>> py.importlib.import_module('MatlabSession')
Error using weakref><module> (line 14)
Python Error: ImportError: cannot import name _remove_dead_weakref
Error in __init__><module> (line 26)
import sys, os, time, cStringIO, traceback, warnings, weakref, collections
Error in __init__><module> (line 49)
import logging
Error in MatlabSession><module> (line 9)
from gc3libs import Application, create_engine, ANY_OUTPUT
Error in __init__>import_module (line 37)
    __import__(name)

I have found a selection of references to this error, but no clear solution for
me.
Interestingly I get the same error when I tried to run gc3pie on macOS earlier,
but I thought this was due to the unsupported nature of macOS.
One of the more direct recommended solutions are: to recreate the virtualenv,
or reinstall python. I tried the second and I don’t think I can do the second
with gc3pie right?

Refs:
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/5240
https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv/issues/1141