On 12/6/22 12:40, Arthur Cohen wrote:
Can't wait to see this becoming available in the distributions :D.

I will make sure we get the frontend enabled in Debian as soon as possible.

Haha, I appreciate the enthusiasm :) Please note however that despite the
language
being in, the compiler is still at an extremely early stage. We are still not
able
to properly compile Rust code in the version that we target, 1.49.

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of that. However, I still consider the inclusion
of gccrs
into the main gcc code a major step forward as it means the code is exposed to
a much
broader audience which means it will see more testing.

Since Matthias Klose is regularly uploading gcc snapshots to Debian unstable,
the gccrs
will be compiled and testrun on more than 20 architectures ;-).

And I will report back every issue that is discovered this way.

To do anything meaningful with the language, you will also need the core
library,
which again, we cannot compile yet in its 1.49 version.

No worries.

This is very much an extremely experimental compiler and will still get a lot
of changes
in the coming weeks and months up until the release.

And I'm looking forward to that.

Again, thanks everyone for this fantastic effort!

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer