Zack Weinberg wrote:
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:05 -0800, Janis Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 04:00:49PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 15:47 -0800, Janis Johnson wrote:

There are eight tests that check for that error message, although
probably not in quite the same way.

I may be confused - this *is* g++.mike/p10769a.C we are talking about, yes? If so, I'd like to point out that g++.mike/p10769b.C appears to be constructively the exact same test case except with dg-error markers on the offending conversions instead of dg-boguses.

Except that p10769b.C doesn't use -Wno-pmf-conversions and gets different error messages.

My bad, I should read more carefully.  Um, is -Wno-pmf-conversions a
useful feature anymore, given that we are issuing errors with or without
it?

It looks like we do still use that flag in a couple of places, and I don't see a deprecation note anywhere. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I distinctly thought we'd killed this off.

It looks like we do still accept:

  struct S {
    void f();
  };

  void g() {
    reinterpret_cast<void*>(&S::f);
  }

But, the form in the test case where we are not even starting with a pointer-to-member, but merely the name of a member function. I think that's an intentional tightening; C++ doesn't allow you to do anything with the name of a member function, except call it. And, the tightening goes back at least to G++ 3.2, as far as I can tell. So, I think removing the test case is still OK.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC