Nathanael Nerode wrote:
The libada-gnattools-branch suffers severely from having to be maintained
in parallel with mainline (since it's a rearrangment of existing code).
Another two months of waiting will necessitate many hours of totally
unneccessary work on my part.

The same is true for everyone who has to wait to check in a patch. Conversely, checking something in can cause work for lots of other people if things go wrong.

Although you have listed it as "stage 2", I wish to commit the finished
portion as soon as possible during stage 1. I have maintainership authority
to do so. This will not interfere in any way with *any* of the projects
approved for stage 1, since it is in a disjoint section of code.

If it breaks bootstrap, it will definitely interfere. If it causes patch conflicts with other changes it will also interfere. And if it doesn't cause any patch conflicts, then it probably won't be very hard to maintain on a branch.

> Accordingly, I plan to do so unless I am told not to.

I would certainly prefer that you hold off until Stage 2, as indicated by the documented I posted.

Perhaps the Ada maintainers would help you maintain this branch, as it would seem to be in their best interest to do so?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC