General
=======

As per previous announcements, please do not place a target milestone
on bugs that are not part of the release criteria.  For example, since
neither Ada nor Java are part of the release criteria, bugs that
affect only those languages should never have a target milestone.
(It's good if they do have "4.0 regression" in their subject line,
though; then you can always find bugs in those languages that you want
to fix before the release by searching on that basis.)

4.1 Status
==========

The 4.1 projects Wiki page shows that four projects have been checked
in:

* Code Sinking

* Improved PHI-OPT

* New C Parser

* Part 1 of Libada GNATTools Branch

The remaining 1.1 projects include:

* Autovectorization Enhancements (some parts)

* SMS Improvements

* Structure Aliasing Part I

(Are some of these actually in, but have not been so marked on the
Wiki?  If so, please update the Wiki!)

We want to get these in by March 15th; at that point, the wraps come
off the Stage 1.2 projects.  Again, please submit your patches early,
so that they can be debated/revised/approved and ready to go.  If
you're patches are not being reviewed, let me know.  In many cases, I
may not be able to review them myself, but I will try to find someone
who will.

4.0 Status
==========

There are presently 37 "critical" regressions open against 4.0.  These
are bugs that are in the wrong-code, ice-on-valid-code, or
rejects-valid categories; in other words, they are bugs that would
make conforming programs that worked with older releases fail to work
in 4.0.  There are 111 total regressions open, i.e., 74 "non-critical"
regressions.

In order to help us hit the April 15th target for GCC 4.0, please do
not put the 4.0 target milestone on any new non-critical bugs after
March 15th, without first getting my approval -- and expect that
approval to be hard to get.  For these defects, use the 4.0.1
milestone.  It's still OK to fix non-critical regressions after that
point, but let's aim at a fixed target, rather than trying to accept
new reports at the last minute.

I will undoubtedly kick some of the current non-critical regressions
back to 4.0.1 as well.

Many (40-ish) iof the open regressions (critical and otherwise) have
people assigned to them.  It's the usual suspects: Merrill, Mitchell,
Henderson, Oliva, Sidwell, etc.  We folks need to deal with the bugs
assigned to us.

3.4.4 Status
============

There are 59 critical and 90 non-critical regressions open against
3.4.4.  I'm not that concerned about the total; it is what it is.
Some of the bugs are not affect platforms/languages that would not
entitle them to release target, as per above, were they being created
now.  Many others are relatively obscure.

I plan to do a 3.4.4 release on May 1st.  That means that, as we focus
on 4.0, and fix bugs also present in 3.4, we'll get a better 3.4.4
release.  The 3.4.4 release will probably be the last 3.4.x release
which I will manage; I want to focus exclusively on 4.0 and 4.1 after
that point.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC