Jon Grimm wrote:
So I've been looking at using REAL_TYPE to represent decimal floating
point values internally (to implement the C extensions for decimal floating point.) I believe David and yourself had some discussions on this some short time back.

FWIW, I'd rather see you stick with REAL_TYPE. I think that decimal floating point is similar enough to binary floating point to make that worthwhile.

What I would hope would work would be modifying real.c to (a) directly suport the decimal format for storage, and (b) update the emulation of floating-point operations to work correctly on the decimal format. I definitely agree that translating into the binary format is likely to result in various errors.

I don't have an opinion on exactly what method of modifying real.c would be cleanest.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC