Paul Koning wrote:

It sure would be useful, though, if there were a construct that does
mean "pointer to packed T".  In particular, I've often needed "pointer
to packed int" and found no way to produce that.  I ended up creating
a one-member struct with a packed int inside, which is a syntactic
nightmare.   (The application was a piece of legacy code that was
writing via int pointers, but sometimes things were not aligned.  The
fix was much more invasive than it should have been because I could
find no way to define a pointer to packed int.)  If there IS a way to
do that, it sure would be nice for the docs to explain it.  Right now
the documentation of "packed" is essentially unintellegible.

According to the docs here:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Type-Attributes.html#Type-Attributes>

what about doing something like this?:

typedef int packed_int __attribute__ ((aligned (1)));

packed_int *ppi;

Eric