On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Jeroen Scheerder wrote:

> Note that builds on Solaris 10 on AMD Opteron (on a Sun Fire V20z) failed
> miserably.  With the Sun-supplied as and ld, bootstraps chokes on syntax
> errors in assembly files; with GNU as and ld, bootstrap chockes on
> invalid instructions (64-bit AMD instructions not handled by as?).

I recommend using GNU as and Sun ld.  /usr/sfw/bin/as should be a suitable
version of the GNU assembler, or try the 2.15.97 binutils snapshot (from
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/binutils/snapshots/) for an assembler which should
also be sufficiently recent (soon to be released as 2.16); I don't know if
the 2.15 release is recent enough.  The version of GCC distributed in
/usr/sfw/bin is configured with

--with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas --with-gnu-as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
--without-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-shared

which should be a configuration which works for 4.0.0 and mainline, as
well as for csl-sol210-3_4-branch from which /usr/sfw/bin/gcc comes.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal mail)