Hi,

Steven Bosscher wrote:

this is just a tiny note, that gcc-4.0 does produce miscompiled binaries
on sparc(32)-linux with -mcpu=ultrasparc. Some binaries work, however many such as bash, curl or gzip segfault.

I know this is not a reduced testcase, just a note. I try to invest some time over the weekend to debug this and hopefully produce a reduced testcase. So far this only happens with v9 or above optmiizations. v8 optimized binaries pass checking.

Try the top of the gcc 4.0 branch first.  There is a known bug
in an optimization pass that may cause wrong code to be produced
by GCC 4.0 as released (see http://gcc.gnu.org/PR21173).  You
may be just seeing yet another incarnation of this problem.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I bootsrapped the 4_0 branch's CVS HEAD (which took quite some hours on the old UltraSPARC) and during the first tests I have not yet encountered the random segfaults anymore.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de/ | http://www.t2-project.org/