Peter Barada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> What's really sad is that for cross-compilation of the toolchain, we
>>> have to repeat a few steps (build gcc twice, build glibc twice)
>>> because glibc and gcc assume that a near-complete environment is
>>> available(such as gcc needing headers, and glibc needing -lgcc-eh), so
>>> even really fast machines(2.4Ghz P4) take an hour to do a cross-build
>>> from scratch.
>>
>>This could be made substantially easier if libgcc moved to the top
>>level.  You wanna help out with that?
>
> Uh, ok.  What do you mean by "move to the top level"?

libgcc should have its own top-level directory like all the rest of
the runtime libraries, instead of being nested inside the gcc
directory.  This helps because it's libgcc, not the compiler itself,
that needs the libc headers.  You could build your cross-gcc, use it
to configure libc to the point where the headers are available, build
libgcc, then go back and finish building libc, and not have to repeat
anything.  At least that's the theory.  I'm sure there are all kinds
of practical problems that will crop up when we get to the point we
can actually try this, but it's a long step in the right direction.

I'm not sure who is working on this now, but Paolo Bonzini should
know.

zw