Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
After synchronizing with Ian Lance Taylor on IRC, I'm in the
process of implementing the cc0 replacement machinery he
described here and found at
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/general%20backend%20cleanup> after
"Here is a possible approach in which macros are used in the MD
file readers to avoid the pattern explosion".  I understood
noone else is working on this.

What worries me most is that I'll not meet the Stage 1 end of
the 25:th.  This CC_REG machinery patches would arguably be
affecting many files and as such be stage 1 material, but
doesn't at all functionally affect any primary platform (all
being non-cc0) or ports that still use the cc0 approach.

The fact that you'll not be ready by the end of Stage 1 (technically already passed; I'm working on a 4.1 status report) isn't necessarily a fatal problem; we can make case-by-case judgements. But, I do think that preference should be given to those projects that were previously announced, and that if your changes seem too invasive, it might be reasonable to hold them for 4.2. We shall have to see.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC