Richard Guenther wrote:
On 4/29/05, Mark Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

What's the position on closing 3.4 regression bugs which are fixed in 4.0
and where it doesn't seem worthwhile to attempt to backport a fix?

They should be closed as FIXED, with a note. It would be wrong to use WONTFIX, since the bug is in fact FIXED in 4.0; it might make sense to use WONTFIX if the bug was introduced on the 3.4 branch and never present elsewhere.

What about bugs like PR17860 which are not regressions to previous versions
but fixed in 4.0?  In the audit trail there was the remark that closing as FIXED
is not ok.  Though I would say closing as FIXED and using the target milestone
to indicate where it was fixed seems ok.  WONTFIX would certainly be misleading
(though we won't fix it for the release the bug was reported against).

I'm not sure we need to worry too much about exactly how we mark these. We've got the situation where 3.4.4 will follow 4.0.0 chronologically, though it somewhat precedes it conceptually. So, what target milestone should we use? I'm happy to use the one in which we first fixed the bug chronologically. So, if we're not going to fix 17860 in 3.4.x, we should just marked it FIXED in 4.0. But if we marked it WONTFIX, I don't think that would be a major problem.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC