Jonathan Bastien-Filiatrault wrote:
* We have defined BIT_PER_WORD to 16 and UNITS_PER_WORD to 1. On this
DSP, there are two 40-bits accumulators. How do we make GCC take
advantage of this and which machine mode do we use ?

GCC has little support for non-power-of-2 sized accumulators. Traditionally this would be done by using PSImode (because your target has a 64-bit SImode), which you can enable by using the undocumented PARTIAL_INT_MODE(SI) macro in your target modes.def file. See other targets for existing examples of this.

Also, gcc has little support for targets with BITS_PER_UNIT != 8. I think the (ti)c4x is the only one currently supported, and it is being obsoleted due to lack of maintenance.