Hi Mark,

> Hi Rutger,
>
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 07:24 -0700, Rutger Ovidius wrote:
> > AH> I don't think that anyone is proposing to drop static libraries on
> > AH> Win32.  Win32 systems have their own requirements that make static
> > AH> libs preferable in some cases.  On GNU systems, however, static libs
> > AH> make no sense at all for the Java language.
> >
> > One of the first things I had hoped for from gcj was static linking
> > (except for libc) on GNU systems.
> >
> > There is new era of shared library hell and it seems to only apply to
> > libgcj.
>
> I might be to young to have experienced this last era of share library
> hell. Do you have a pointer to what you are referring to and how it was
> solved back then on GNU systems?

Example:
Compile a C++ program on x86 Linux with gcc 2.9x, install it on a system
with gcc 3.x

As long as your program does not throw an exception, everything is fine.
If your program throws an exception, the application crashes.

Reason: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so

You have to fiddle around with LD_PRELOAD, I found no other way.
An unexperianced user is lost in space :-(

Wolfgang

Machen Sie aus 14 Cent spielend bis zu 100 Euro!
Die neue Gaming-Area von Arcor - über 50 Onlinespiele im Angebot.
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-gaming-1