> I've worked around this by changing all occurrences of AR="ar"  in
> sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libjava/libtool to AR="/usr/local/binutils/bin/ar".
> Using GNU's ar fixes the problem indeed.
>
> I have another problem later on, again in sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libjava:
>
> /tmp/GCC/gcc/xgcc -shared-libgcc [...] -o .libs/libgcj.so.6.0.0
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation Fault]
>
> Any clue?

How did you configure?  The mix of GNU tools and Sun tools looks suspicious.
libgcj.so.6.0.0 is a monster so that could be a memory problem too.  If you're
not interested in Java, I'd suggest to configure with --disable-libgcj.

> Has anyone attempted to use GNU binutils 2.16 to build gcc on
> Solaris?

I have (with a 2.16 prerelease) on Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, 8 and 9.  I'll try
with the stock release.

> In any case it looks like gcc cannot be built on Solaris using standard
> GNU binutils releases.

2.15 is the only one problematic, unless proven otherwise.

--
Eric Botcazou