>But AFAICT even the developers who work on embedded targets focus
>on code quality and new features, instead of on the compile time
>and memory footprint issues that you would expect their group of
>users to complain about.

I think that most of us embedded developers are trying to keep up with
where GCC is going.  Personally I spend most of my time in
gcc/config/m68k instead of the optimizers since its the target
description that I know, not the optimizers.

Also the mainline developers for x86 don't have the constraints that
we have, so its a case of "out of sight, out of mind" and a batch of
them have those glitzy workstations that they build native code for
instead of the hardware us embedded developers have.

Since I don't have any choice but to build natively on what to GCC
developers is "crippled hardware" (only 263 BogoMips) then it takes
somwhere 20 times as long to build the packages, and a "minor" 3%
slowdown means it takes a *lot* longer to go through a build cycle.
This also means that I can't track snapshots since they show up
quicker than the amount of raw compute time to just build everything
while hoping that the build doesn't blow its brains out due to a "minor"
increase in memory consumption.

--
Peter Barada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]