Peter Barada wrote:

Until package maintainers take cross-compilation *seriously*,

Or cross-programming in general, or until GNU programmers write software in a way such that if the GNU platform changes, translation of configuration tools is still possible by design.

I've just given up running the GCC 3.4 testsuite on MacOS X 10.2,
after spending a few days getting from 3.1-incl-Ada -> 3.3-incl-Ada
(src 1495) -> system-3.3 + 3.3-incl-Ada -> 3.4.
I've got a compiler, after injection of a number of shoehorns
into Make-lang.in and into the system.
The configuration trouble appears not to be caused by the GCC
sources proper, but mostly by the assumption-based configuration
programs used and *their* associated version hel^H^H^H dependence
graph etc.. (one workaround in another thread.)

Yes, MacOS X 10.2 is old, not GNU etc., still it seems to me that
the quality of the configuration programs could be improved by
just slightly relaxing the at-least-complete-GNU-x86 or equivalent
assumption, if only the attitude towards configuration changes.
This can't hurt even within GNU. End of rant.

Georg