Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>>Huh?  I can cross-compile GCC, its all the packages that require
>>native configuration/building....
>
> Is it fesable for people in this sort of situation to build GCC on a fast
> machine but with the final host and target both set to whatever the slower
> machine is (in this case coldfire)
> Does GCC even support that?

Yes, this is called a crossed-native build and GCC does
support it. I used to use it some time back for building
GCJ for Win32:

  http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/phartz/gcj/bldgcj.html

You build a crossed-native compiler in two phases:

  1. Build a cross compiler for $TARGET on a fast box.

  2. Use the cross compiler to build a crossed-native
     compiler for $TARGET on the same box.

I used to do it for Win32 simply for the reason that
building under Linux (on the same box) was *way* faster
and less error-prone than under Win32.

I was going to suggest this to Peter myself before
I saw your message.

Ranjit.

PS: Surely this must be one of the longest threads in
recent times on the GCC list!

PPS: I do not see some of the messages, for example, a
couple of messages from Robert Dewar that seem to be
referenced in other messages.

--
Ranjit Mathew      Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.    Web: http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/