On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:14:42PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Well, if I were running the show, the 'clock' would only start running
> when it was consensus among the libstdc++ developers that the soname
> would not be bumped again - that henceforth libstdc++ was committed to
> binary compatibility as good as glibc's.  Or better, if y'all can manage
> it.  It doesn't sound like we're there yet, to me.

If that's why you were confused by my response, I was not suggesting
freezing the ABI.  I think it's an awful idea.  You specifically
objected to shipping two versions using the same SONAME in case we
installed the new one and it turned out to be incompatible - which
we've done.

I still haven't seen a valid objection to bumping the SONAME whenever
necessary.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC