On 2005-05-25, at 08:06, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:14:42PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:

I'm not sure what the above may imply for your ongoing discussion, tough...

Well, if I were running the show, the 'clock' would only start running
when it was consensus among the libstdc++ developers that the soname
would not be bumped again - that henceforth libstdc++ was committed to binary compatibility as good as glibc's. Or better, if y'all can manage
it.  It doesn't sound like we're there yet, to me.

Why can't libstdc++ use symbol versioning? glibc has maintained the soname
and binary comptiblity despite changing fundamental types like FILE

Please stop spreading rumors:

1. libgcc changes with compiler release. glibc is loving libgcc. ergo:
   glibc has not maintained the soname and binary compatibility.

2. The whole linker tricks glibc plays to accomplish this
   are not portable and not applicable to C++ code.

3. Threads are the death to glibc backward compatibility.