As of now, please consider the GCC 4.0 branch completely frozen for all changes, including documentation, testsuite, etc.

However, I'm not entirely happy with the state of the compiler from the point of view of doing a release.

There are several PRs for wrong-code in 4.0.1 that seem potentially as serious as the KDE thing. In order from most serious to least:

* PR 22043, which involves a failure to initialize fields in automatic structures. The patch has been applied to the 4.0 branch, but the target milestone still says 4.0.1. Bugmasters, is that just a mistake?

* PR 22000, in which we throw away volatile reads. That's a serious problem for embedded targets.

* PR 22051, which involves wrong-code generation for pointer comparisons on one of our primary platforms.

* PR 21985, in which we are mis-folding expressions involving pointer arithmetic.

I'll wander over to the summit, and see whose brains are available for picking about these things.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC